Chapter 8

Rose, Sky, Nikki, Jess, and Celestia headed out early in the morning to hunt. Rose was hesitant to go despite the fact that she suggested hunting. All four girls really just wanted to sleep in.

They drove the jeep to the east, stopping as soon as they hit the forest. It teemed with life.

"So how do we do this?" asked Nikki, slamming the car door and scaring away some prey. The three others groaned and facepalmed.

"Nikki, you gotta be quiet!" Jess hissed lowly.

"Jeez! Sorry!" she murmured. Rose rolled her eyes and shook her head, urging her pet to lead the way. The girls were dressed in camouflage and equipped with shotguns.

Rose mouthed the words, "Don't fuck this up" to her friends. Sky nearly laughed, Jess snickered, and Nikki smirked.

Celestia took off, probably chasing after something. The girls followed at a slower pace, careful not to disturb Celestia's hunt. They trailed her, finding her standing over a couple dead forest animals.

"Should that be enough?" Nikki questioned, eager to go home.

Rosalie shook her head. "You know there's like, fifty-to-seventy people in the community, correct?"

"Yeah. So?"

"We're gonna need more than this. Duh."

"Honestly, Nikki, you've been so inconsiderate lately," Jess sighed, shaking her head sadly. Nikki wanted to say something, but she shut her mouth.

The group hunted for about an hour, accumulating a large mass of game. That's when Chase showed up in a small, red car.

He hopped out, slamming the door behind him. "We need to move."

The girls looked at him with a confused expression. "Why?" they asked in unison.

"That other community? Yeah, well, they're attacking."

»»-------------¤-------------««

The gang arrived back home to find a couple fallen soldiers, some more injured ones, and a ransacked food supply. Lila scurried, trying to make sure everyone was alright.

"We fought well. But I need to speak to their leader," Lila declared as soon as she noticed her daughter's return.

"Lila, won't that be too risky?" Jess worried. Lila shot her a warm smile and placed her hand on Jess's shoulder.

"It will be dangerous. But I am willing to do it if the community can benefit from it."

"What if they can't, Mom? What if those people kill you?" Sky snapped, crossing her arms defiantly.

"It is a risk that I am willing to take," Lila uttered in a low, gravely voice. She turned and continued to look for people to help. Rose noticed Jewel and the other doctors and nurses were hurrying around, scrambling from person to person. Small beads of sweat were running down their faces.

Nikki approached Jewel, whispered a question, then rushed into the bunker. Jess pondered what her sister was up to. She traversed over to the redhead and asked, "What's up with her?"

"She went to visit Aaron."

"Of course! She's had a crush on him for ages! Plus, he's pretty sick." Jessica thought. She thanked Jewel then followed Nikki into the quarantine section of the underground shelter.