Chapter 26: Read It And Weep

Unknown POV.

Being alone out here, I've found to be very easy compared to being with a group. The only people you have to worry about is yourself. Yet, there's obvious pros and cons. For example: if you're up against a group of those creeps, more people would be nice to have to stand a chance at living. But, if you have a group, there's more people to protect, more mouths to feed, more people to keep under control and civilized. I'm alone. So far, it's working. And I'm okay out here by myself. I've kept myself out of trouble and I'm able to find places to hide if I need to. I'm a good shot and I don't miss. I'm smart too. I can figure things out if I'm stuck and confused. Anderson is my town. I know the streets, secrets and backroads like the back of my hand.

I've been walking around all day. Sitting on rooftops to scope out the city, finding food and water in stores, keeping my weapons in check and looking for newer and better ones. It's only been about a month since this started, but I know what I'm doing in this world. It's simple, less complicated. The objective is to live through it. There's no more government or authority, no more green slips of cotton ruling out every move because money is no longer an object, it isn't needed. The only thing we have left is each other and our belongings. It's survival of the fittest, kill off the ones with disease when they try and rip you apart. It's easy right now. There aren't many creeps around. They've all probably left Anderson to go find more food. They're bloodthirsty and the never ending hunger gets the best of them.

I stand up from where I sit on the roof of the building I'm on after putting my things in my bag and look around, seeing what there is ahead and behind me. I look around carefully and see something that I hoped I would. A survivor. Just a few buildings over. A guy laying on a rooftop, his bag next to him with paper out near his head. He looked familiar, but I couldn't place him. He's not moving though. Something was wrong. I grabbed my bag and started sprinting across the rooftops, jumping from building to building until I was able to reach the person, who still hadn't moved from where he lay, his legs hanging over the edge. I jumped onto the building where the guy was and walked over to him.

He looked dead... Not dead like one of the creeps, but dead. Then I found him out. I knew who he was. This person was Markiplier. I grabbed his shoulder and shook him, no movement. No, that can't be right. Markiplier can't be dead. That's not fair! I looked around and saw an empty backpack and a letter. I picked it up and started reading.

To who I left behind,

No way... He knew he was going to die...

He couldn't have been gone long, I knew I could help him. I had to. I grabbed the spare jacket out of my bag and placed it over him, it was cold and he wasn't wearing a coat. I looked down in the alleyway and the creeps took notice of his body on the roof. They growled, snarled and tried climbing the side of the building. I pulled Mark up so he was laying completely flat on the building, giving no reason for the creeps to be interested in his body. I noticed he was missing his supplies and glasses. I searched through his empty backpack and found nothing but a pen and paper, along with a case containing spare glasses. There had to be something that I could do to help this guy. There had to be! Now it's just a matter of taking him to a place where I could try to help him... I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't though. I hoped.

Chloe's POV.

"Have they seen anything? It's been forever Tom. It's dark and cold," I said, tugging on his sweatshirt sleeve.

"I'll see," he told me as he held up his radio. "Anyone see anything? It's getting late."

"Nothing yet. We're looking though," Wade's voice spoke through the radio. "Eagle eyes, Tom. We'll find him. Your brother, and my best friend. I promise."