Chapter 5: Helping Us All

Tom's POV. (A/N. Yup, perspective change!)

Mark woke up gasping for air and was doing what seemed to be crying. I wasn't going to have the infected outside hear him, so I held one arm around him and put my hand over his mouth to keep him quiet. I told Mark he was okay, that whatever woke him up was just a hellish dream and he was fine. We hid down on the floorboards and heard a few of the monsters make their way, only feet apart from us, around the car and keep walking off. I kept one arm around my baby brother the whole time to keep him calm, and thankfully it worked in my favor.

When he asked where everyone else was I told him what happened when I saw the walking freaks and I said that our friends would be just fine if they listened to what I told them to do. After a while of listening to the zombie-like creatures walk around the parkinglot, Mark had fallen asleep under my protective watch. Soon after that, I did too. I never left Mark's side the entire night.

When the break of day made its way through the windows of the car, Mark and I woke up and looked to see if there was any of those monstrous things still making themselves at home in the parkinglot. There were none and we both agreed to go check on the others. Mark and I stepped out of the car and went over to Wade and Molly first. Mark tapped on the door and Wade came out to talk to us.

"Hey, what's going on?" Wade asked.

"Tom and I came over to see if you and Molly were okay. How's her arm?" Mark asked.

"Um, it didn't look bad. I thought it was better than yesterday. At least looked the part. But, yeah, we're okay, thanks. You guys check on Bob and Mandy?"

"Just about to," I said.

"Alright. You want me to put everything together so we can get moving?" Mark nodded before we walked over to Bob and Mandy's car.

"Hey Bob!" Mark slightly shouted. He was asleep and that surely woke him up.

"What the hell are you doing?" Bob asked, stepping out of the car.

"It's 5:30 Bob. We've gotta fix up everything and go. I told you last night that we would keep moving at the crack of dawn. And... Oh look! There's dawn!" Mark pointed to the side of the parkinglot where the sun was rising. "And what's the time- yep, it's the crack of it," Mark said sarcastically. "C'mon bud, let's go. Wake up Mandy."

"Whatever, funny guy. Be that way. Aren't we going to eat something before we go?"

Mark's POV.

"Damn. Forgot about that whole 'food' situation... Fine. Wake up Mandy and get Wade and Molly and come over to mine and Tom's car. We'll have something for you guys."

Everyone came over to mine and Tom's car and they all grabbed something to eat. There wasn't much left to choose from, so eventually we'd have to stop somewhere and loot a store. An idea popped into my head as we were all sitting around, debating on how much longer we could procrastinate our moving forward. I wanted to know where all of this started. Not how, I knew that already. But where was in my interest.

"Tom?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Where did this all start out?"

"Uh, a pill. I thought you-"

"Not how. I meant where. As in, what state, what city, what country?"

"Oh. I'm not sure where. I think it started in Illinois. Chicago, I think it was."

"Who started it?"

"Some guy named Dr. Veltache."

"Where does he live?"

"You think I know all of that? I only figured out who and where. Not where the guy lives. Why do you want to know all of this?"