Chapter 19: Conflicts And Memories

Chloe's POV.

Mark talked with Matthias for a long time with Mokuren while I sat in the main entrance of the big building Mokuren's group were staying in. I held tightly to my bag and watched as people kept walking back and forth to the opposite sides of the Decker Hall. Some people were nice enough to bother to send a kind smile my way as they passed by while others didn't even care to look at me. Mark and Matthias were talking about the whole plan of me being his kid and everything upstairs while I sat, waiting for something interesting to happen. And to my surprise, a girl, looking to be nearing thirty, came up to talk to me.

"Hi there, sweetie," she said as she sat next to me on the bench. I hate that nickname. "I'm Amanda, what's your name?"

"Chloe," I responded quietly.

"I like that name a lot. It's cute!" Great. She's that kind of person. "If you don't mind me asking, who was the man you came here with?"

"Is it really that hard to tell? What would a little kid be doing with a grown man in a tragic world-wide event? Could you imagine that man is her father?"

"Oh. My bad. I hadn't thought of that, no. He's your father?" I nodded. "What's his name?"

"Mark Fischbach."

"So you're Chloe Fischbach?"

"Am now." She asked me what I meant. "It was Madrid. But after my mom left, I wanted Fischbach."

"Where is your mother?"

"Where do you think? She was eaten by those things. So was my aunt and my baby cousin Jolene... We thought we were safe in a school in Ohio, but it didn't work out."

"Oh my gosh. I'm sorry for asking. I should've just kept my mouth shut." Yes, you should have.

"Is that where you got the crib sheet? From her bed? You're baby cousin?" Mark asked, holding up his arm with the sheet wrapped around it.

"Yeah... Jolene's crib."

"Are you serious Chloe? You took a sheet from a dead child's crib?" Mark let out a heavy sigh and turned to Amanda. "Who're you?"

"I'm Amanda Callies. And you're Mark, right? Chloe's father?" She asked.

"Me? Yeah. I am. Mark Fischbach."

"I'm sorry for what happened to your wife, sister and niece."

"Wife? Oh no, I was never married. But thanks."

"What's her name?" He doesn't know that... Oops.

"Marie," I told her. Mark nodded in agreement. "My aunt was Harley and my cousin was Jolene."

"How old are you Mark?"

"I'm twenty-seven. I'd ask you the same, but that'd be rude." Mark chuckled a little to himself.

"Do you know Matthias personally? You two seemed pretty happy to see each other here. He one of your friends?"

"Oh yeah! Matthias and I are great friends! We worked together on YouTube sometimes and I'd hang out with him while I traveled to California a lot!"

"That's pretty nice to see one of your friends after so long. Um, have you met anyone from our group here besides Mokuren?"

"Actually, no. I haven't. Just you. I met Mokuren a long time ago actually. We'd edit videos and she'd help me with donation pages for charity."

"You did charity? That's amazing! What for?"

"Well, a lot of things actually..."

Their voices faded out as I grew bored of listening to them talk about random nonsense. I sat back on the bench and sighed, holding my backpack to my chest like before. To be honest, since we found Mokuren yesterday, I was feeling a bit left out and ignored. I mean, I'm ten, I want someone to talk to on occasion and hang out with. Is that too much to ask of Mark? To be talked to? I understand that he had friends and new people to grow accustomed to, but, with me being a little kid, I needed him too. I stood up from my seat and walked off, looking back to see if anyone had noticed. Of course not. Everyone's busy with their own stuff. Their own little objectives for the evening. I walked upstairs to see what all it had to offer, and there were rooms stretching down a huge hall to my left, and an open space my right. Possibly a makeshift cafeteria for these guys. In front of me were directional signs. 'Classes: left' 'Recreational Area: right'. Hm. Okay.