Chapter 7: New Recruits

• Dedicated to Devin Mott (My Brother)

Mark's POV.

"Hey, look over there," I said, pointing over at a building in the distance as we drove down the highway.

"What is that?" Tom asked.

"Is that a building people are using?" Chloe asked me.

"I don't know... It could be Chloe." I was really uncertain though. I didn't want to get Chloe's or my own hopes up incase it wasn't.

"Oh my gosh, really? Like, real, living people?"

"It looks pretty ominous. A little too clean and kept up with to not be of some use to few people." I looked over to my brother. "Hey Tom, stop here."

We pulled over onto an exit ramp close to the building, I grabbed my crowbar and quietly hopped out of the car. I looked behind me and saw Wade, Bob, Molly and Mandy pull up near our car. I walked over and told the four to come with me into the building to see if there were survivors that were overlooked by Safe Zone Recruiters. That's what we called the military/army double team that took people to safe zones against or at their own will. Mandy and Molly said they would stay with Tom and the little girl so they wouldn't worry. Wade and Bob grabbed their small backpacks we kept chuck full of small necessary supplies we used when we went into big buildings like this. They all three grabbed their weapons and I lead the way to the building.

"Mark, why are we going in here again?" Wade asked.

"This place is too tidy and kept up with for there to not to be anyone here. There's people, I'm hoping. We'll need them while we're heading over to Chicago."

"I really hope there's people. No way I'm gonna stay in here if we run into a group of infected." I hit Wade once he said that.

"What are you trying to do, you idiot? Don't jinx it Wade. You do that, obviously we're going to run into them. Don't do that!"

"Jeez, okay. I'm done."

"You'd better be. I've had enough of that dammit," I snapped.

"I swear, you two are such an old married couple." We both glared at Bob for saying that. "You argue like it, I'm just letting you know."

"Don't get off task, let's get into the building now."

(A/N. Play the music on the right! 'Somewhere I Belong' by Linkin Park.)

We walked into the lobby of what looked like a hotel. Drapes on the windows were tattered, torn and stained. The blue and grey carpet was pulling up, lightbulbs were shattered next to lamps, there was a draft through the middle of the lobby, wallpaper was peeling off the walls, papers and documents and files were scattered across the ground and there was a dead body at the front desk. A middle aged man, it seemed like. Then again, I could be completely wrong, half his face was gone. I shuddered at the sight of the body laying limp on the oak desk, his blood seeping into the computers in front of him, causing them to short out and spark. He didn't look like he worked here, nor could he have been dead for more than a few hours.

"Fresh bait. Food probably," I told Bob and Wade who looked as if they were about to hurl everywhere at the sight of the man.

"C'mon guys, there's more floors than this. Let's get searching for people. Live people." It took everything in me not to throw up. I turned my head, coughing a bit from my attempt to keep a strong stomach.

"Should we start from the top?" Bob asked.

"Uh, sure. If that's what you guys want to do. Why though?"