Chapter 2: Medical Supplies

Mark's POV.

"Hey, Mark!" Wade yelled. "Take this with you."

"What do you want me to do with a damn crowbar? There's a broken window I could climb through and I'm positive none of those things are here. Why give me this?"

"You don't know for sure what or who is in that school. Just take the damn thing. C'mon, you need to go to the nurses room and get the med kit we need. It's in there. Molly needs it Mark. Just go."

"Okay, I'll go. But if I get killed, I'm coming back for you if I turn into one of those things. You understand me? I'm doin' this for Molly. Because she needs it."

"Thank you."

I turned to the broken window I saw and hoisted myself on the ledge to be high enough to climb in. Wade, Bob and I found an abandoned school two days after this started that didn't looked vandalized or filled with those infectious things. So we pulled over and I was volunteered to go get a first aid kit for Molly's wound on her arm. She was awake now, but in a lot of pain. I wasn't going to take any risks and let her become infected.

I walked through the dimly lit hallway as stealthily as possible and found myself in the cafeteria. This isn't where I'm supposed to be. I went to stand up and walk out when I felt a cold metal ring against the back of my left shoulder blade. I froze.

"Who are you?" I heard a deep, husky voice ask. Pressing the barrel of the gun further into my shoulder.

"I-I was, uh, I was just, getting, uh, some medical s-supplies for my friend's girlfriend. S-she got hurt, on-on her arm."

"Duke. I'm sure it'd be better if you took the shotgun off his back." Was that a girl? There's a woman here? Why is she defending me?

"Fine," he said hastily, taking the gun off me. "Get up. Go on."

"O-okay. But I-I really need to just be in and out of here as fast a-as possible. Molly needs the medical supplies for her arm."

"We'll see what you've got to say later. I told you to get up," he said pulling me up to my feet, grabbing my crowbar that I dropped. I turned around to see him.

He was tall, about 6'2, four inches taller than me, built up well, like one of those pro wrestlers would be and he kept the shotgun pointed directly at either my head or my chest. He had black hair and bright green eyes, which made him look like Zombiemold from Minecraft. He wreaked of suspicion and hate. I'm sure he believed I was bullshitting him saying that Molly was hurt and I needed to get stuff to fix her wound. But I was telling the truth. Molly was going to become one of those things if I didn't fix it soon.

This entire state, I'm sure, is a deserted wasteland as it is. Everything is at a minimal limited supply. So, I could understand why this 'Duke' guy was so upset with me being here. But, I don't have time to waste with Molly. She needs this medicine and bandage. Wade's probably getting worried about me not being back by now. Instead of me being in the car, I'm being dragged down the hall of an abandoned school by a guy with a gun and my crowbar who thinks I'm here to kill him and his friend. Jeez, where's Wade when you need him? He'd be a very good person to have in this situation.

"Stay here. I'm gonna show you somethin' kid," the guy said.

"What am I doing in the middle of this hallway? What are you doing?" I asked him.

A different girl opened a door I assumed to be a janitor's closet after the other woman walked away, somewhere down the hall. She came over to me while the psycho bonkers crazy guy went over and just about heaved as he pulled out some rotting thing. The lady hovered over me and whipped out a pocket knife. She crouched next to where I sat on the ground and grabbed my hand. I didn't understand what she was doing or why. She cut the palm of my hand and I winced in pain.