Chapter 13: Human Straggler

Tom's POV.

"What if really is dead, Tom?" Bob asked. "I mean, I hope like hell he isn't, but, what if he is?"

"He is not dead Bob," I responded sternly.

"I don't want that to be the case just as much as you. But-"

"No you don't. You don't want that as much as me. He's my brother, not yours. Don't tell me that."

"I'm just saying this because it's a problem we need to address. He hasn't done anything to suggest he's alive since the day he left. That's six days Tom. If we're looking for someone who's not there, what then?"

"Illogical question. He's there. He's alive. I'd know if he wasn't. I know when something's wrong with him. It's just something I'd know Bob. Please, I don't want you to talk like that. We can address the problem when it's there."

"Okay... Just, at least think about it. I don't want you to be a wreck if you end up having to kick yourself in the ass later. Just trying to make sure you don't keep your hopes up too high. Just high enough to keep looking."

"I get it Bob. I know. But he's not gone... I can't say otherwise until I see his body. Unless I am shown my little brother's dead body, I will keep insisting he's alive and well."

Chloe pulled on my sleeve and I stopped walking to crouch down and talk to her. She looked pretty upset. I know we were talking about Mark in front of her, but still. She shouldn't be upset like that. She's ten, she should be happy. Despite this 'zombie apocalypse' we all are in.

"What's going on Chloe? What's up?" I asked.

"Is Mark dead? I don't want him to die Tom."

"He's not dead. I promise he's fine."

"Would it work if we split up and looked for him?"

"What? What are you talking about 'splitting up'? We aren't going to do that. No. We can't. If one of us got lost, then what?"

"Just a thought. I was only asking because if we looked for him in different places, we could find Mark faster, right?"

"I understand, but we can't do that. Just stay with us. Please."

"Fine. Are we gonna stop soon? It's dark out and I'm tired."

"I know it's late. Just hang on a minute. We'll set out some blankets in this alley up ahead here. Okay? Make sure to stay completely covered so you stay safe."

"Okay..."

Mark's POV.

"Another night in an alley, huh Mark? You better pray like hell it isn't going to be surrounded by the infected," I said to myself as I laid one of the tarps I found in the dumpsters onto the ground.

Another day, another alley to sleep in. I lost my charger to my phone, so I can't connect it to the external batteries I had in my backpack. My phone's about to die. I've been preserving the battery as best I could, which meant no taking videos to send to Tom. I was thinking about how close they could be to finding me as I was placing my backpack behind the dumpster where I set my 'bed' up. Are they going to find me soon? I sure hope so... I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

~later in the night~

"Mark? Hey, everything's fine. I promise it's okay. We're here for you. But if you just-"

"Tom, it's not fine. Nothing is! We live in an entire world filled with brain dead, mutated, cannibalistic beings! Beings that used to be human beings! Do know what that means!? No matter who you are, how long you've survived, no matter who you've got with you, you're already dead! You're fucked! And I'm done with this Tom. I don't want to be in a world like this. No."