Chapter 41 ~ Peaky Dinner

Your P.o.v.

After Thomas and I's little argument he spent the rest of the day telling the maids to prepare everything for dinner tonight. Ada and unbeknownst to us Sam would be attending dinner with the family tonight. After not hearing about or from me for months at a time they had jumped at the opportunity to see me once more. The doorbell chimed whilst Tommy was outside so I took it upon myself to open the door. However as soon as I did I wished I didn't, Ada's face fell when she saw me step into her line of vision "Oh, Annabelle" she spoke saddened.

Sam stood behind her and his face held a horrified expression when he laid eyes on me "Are you okay?" he asked as I opened the door wider for them to enter the house

Sam stood behind her and his face held a horrified expression when he laid eyes on me "Are you okay?" he asked as I opened the door wider for them to enter the house. I closed the door behind them and scratched the back of my neck not wanting to send them into a panic "Im fine im just sick at the moment" I told them. Sam's goofy smile slowly returned once more and opened his arms for a warm hug. I was in the middle of being embraced by Sam when Thomas re-entered the room. "Whats he doing here?" he looked at me with a raised eyebrow, as if I held the answer.

I turned to Sam unsure myself "What are you doing here?" I questioned realising that this was a family dinner. "Ada invited me and I was worried about Annabelle so I accepted the invitation" Thomas held his head high. "I see" he spoke simply before looking towards me then exiting the room and continuing on with his work. "Do you want to take me on a tour of the house since we have a few hours to kill?" Sam chuckled lightly. I nodded my head as Ada walked into the kitchen. I only now realised that he had certainly dressed up for the occasion.

His hair was messily combed over to one side and his smiled beamed radiantly. He wore a white button up shirt, leaving the top button undone and a pair of black slacks paired with matching black leather shoes. He definitely looked handsome and he was as charming as ever. "You look nice today" I smiled and linked my arm around his "Thank you, so do you" he smiled down at me as I began taking him on a tour around the house. I could feel Ada's smirk from behind me as we walked out of the room.

Id shown Sam around the bottom floor and we were now up stairs, I showed him the study and the spare rooms

Id shown Sam around the bottom floor and we were now up stairs, I showed him the study and the spare rooms. I decided it would be a bad move to invade either Thomas's room or his study so I left them out of my little tour. "So which rooms your's?" he asked looking around "I actually don't live here anymore. I moved out a few months ago but my old room is over here" I walked him over to the room I was staying in until I was allowed to go home as instructed by Doctor Thomas, I rolled my eyes at the thought.

He walked inside the pale room and analysed its features "Its nice" he smiled "Im hoping to go back to my own place soon enough" I took a seat on my bed. "you don't like it here?" he probed taking a seat in the chair by the window. "It's just a little busy" I shrugged "You could always live with me?" he joked half heartedly. "Last time I was at your house you pushed me out the door because of your mum, I don't know me staying there would be a good idea" I responded.

"I actually moved out as well" he laid back in his seat "my mother's in hospital getting help and I have a place on the other side of Birmingham now".My face lit up "So do I, where about's?" Sam stood from his seat with excitement "Near the bakery" I couldn't believe this we must be only a few streets away from each other. "You should come by sometime" I spoke explaining where about's my home was.

...

Dinner was quiet, no one really spoke or knew what to say. Most talk was about business and I could see Thomas staring at me intensely and then over at Sam who sat opposite me. When he first arrived I was overjoyed to see him but it wasn't until later that I remembered how much Tom really didn't like him being around me. I placed my knife and fork on the plate, I couldn't eat anything else. My stomach turned out of dread, if something happened tonight I don't know id be able to cope. "Your finished?" Finn stared at my quarter eaten plate of food "Im not really hungry" I stared at it.

The rest of dinner flew by and towards the end everyone finally started to chatter about things that didn't involve business. People were making jokes however Thomas continued to gaze over at me. I couldn't take it anymore. I stood from my seat and walked over to his chair at the head of the table. "Thomas what's wrong?" I whispered in his ear "Nothing im just observing, making sure your okay". He was lying and i think deep down he knew that he was completely transparent to me.

I stood back up from my crouching position and took his hand with a sly grin on my face "Dance with me". He looked up at my beaming face and a smile started to appear on his face for the first time all night. He did as I asked and we went into the living room where the record player was and began swaying as the music began. I rested my head upon his shoulder as he held me close to him. Everyone in the other room peered through the archway to see what was going on. Ada and Polly a warm smile on their faces as they watched.

 Ada and Polly a warm smile on their faces as they watched

Sam's P.o.v.

it was around midnight and everyone had made their way outside after watching and joining in on the dancing that Annabelle and Thomas had started. I couldn't disagree with the fact that the two of them looked perfect together, nor that they loved each other. It showed through everything they did and as much as I don't want to confess, I am entirely jealous. I watched from the kitchen window through the soft green trees the pair of them sitting side by side, Annabelle smiling as she leaned in to plant a kiss on Thomas's lips. 

I don't want to be that person to break up something like this but my gut keeps telling me to go for it

I don't want to be that person to break up something like this but my gut keeps telling me to go for it. My brain can't stop thinking about her and my heart aches every time she's not near or with someone else. I wish I hadn't of met her or even seen her at the library the day we introduced ourself to each other. Maybe then I wouldn't be so torn up over a girl who only has room in her heart for one person. It just wounds me more knowing its not me but Thomas.