Orphan and adopted (Chapter 12)

Start from the beginning

"Making fun of Brenton again?" The girl calls out from the other side.

"It's so easy to," Alex giggles, Ava joining in as Brenton's pout turns bigger.

"Sasha would know," Urana finds herself laughing. "She hangs out with him the most."

--

Training was the same as usual.

The teens are now gathering up their stuff, putting them in their book bags and preparing to leave. A few papers fall out of Urana's bag and Ava grabs them.

"Hey Urana, you dro-" Ava reads the contents of the paper.

"Urana...you're adopted?" Ava whispers.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" Urana takes the papers back, not whispering.

"No, no...I just...why didn't you tell anyone? You and Brenton both," Ava goes back to her normal talking voice. "And why do you have the papers in your bag?"

"I never saw the need to bring it up," Urana shrugs. "And I have them because I can."

In Urana's opinion, there really was no way to bring up the fact that you're adopted unless you wanted some sort of attention. So she never bothered to say anything. She's happy with her family, so why bother anyway?

In Ava's opinion, she felt a bit hurt. Seeing as the way their world was going, it is inevitable that they'll be stuck with each other for a while. So...shouldn't they know about one and another and try to trust each other?

"But...with the way our world is going...we'll be stuck with each other for a while...shouldn't we be able to trust each other a bit more?" Ava questions in a small voice.

"You're not wrong, but who brings up 'I"m adopted' in a normal conversation? I didn't see the point in sharing it either," Urana replies.

"Still...why do people feel the need to hide things?" Ava swings her backpack over her shoulders.

"I don't know..." Urana's voice trails off, as she puts on her book bag.

"You two okay?" Brenton asks, after a moment of silence. Both girls silently nod.

"O....kay," Alex zips up his bag.

"Now is the time for a little cheering up," Owen nudges Alex.

"I can't think of any jokes," Alex sighs.

No one really moves. Just standing in place, and messing with things in their bags. Brenton glances at a picture that he dropped and stares at it, a longing look in his eyes.

"Who's that?" Alex asks, pointing to the two babies.

"That's me and my younger twin sister," Brenton answers.

"You have a sister?" Urana turns around.

"Yeah...but she was adopted when we were four. I haven't seen or heard anything from her since. It's not like I'm supposed to...everything about her was gone once she left. Like someone deleted all of her files or something," Brenton answers, looking sad.

"His red hair, amber eyes, no one in our family has that."

Urana shakes her head. It's nothing. Don't overreact, Urana thinks to herself.

"I was separated from my older twin brother when I was adopted too. I just don't know when I was adopted," Urana says.

Owen raises an eyebrow. Surely it's obvious, he thinks. Alex and Ava look at the two, trying to see anything similar.