The Ball

"So you decided to come after all," Lancelot smiled at Gwen, "We thought you wouldn't make it. How is your father?"

"He'll be just fine," she answered, distractedly scanning the room, "he's had his medicine and I expect he'll be sleeping all night."

Merlin, where are you? Gwen wondered. She didn't see a masked man anywhere. He better not have chickened out.

"You seem a bit distracted," Lancelot teased.

She finally focused on him. "I'm sorry," she smiled, "I was just curious to see who all has come in the hope of winning Arthur's hand."

"Ah, yes," Leon crooned as he approached them, "The reason for this whole shindig it would seem."

"There you are," Lancelot turned to him, "I had wondered where you'd gone off to."

"Never too far," he grinned at Lancelot, "though I must say, Arthur doesn't seem to be having a good time."

"No?" Gwen asked, suppressing her glee.

"It may be a bit overwhelming for him," Leon answered, "but everyone seems to be having a good time. It's good to get out sometimes. Speaking of which, Gwen, I'm glad you decided to join us. I thought it would be just us boys tonight."

Gwen couldn't help but smile at the both of them. They looked exceedingly handsome in their formal outfits in a way that sent a spark through her veins while also tugging on her heartstrings.

Sometimes she idly wondered how Morgana would feel about two of Arthur's knights being in a relationship that involved a servant.

***

This feels all wrong, Arthur thought, Something just isn't right about this.

He felt in his heart as if something were missing, he just couldn't quite pinpoint what.

Person after person came forward to dance and make conversation with him. He thought it'd be exciting but he was truly finding it all a bit taxing.

He was polite and cordial of course, but he was finding that none of these people, no matter how lovely any of them may be, were sparking anything in his heart.

***

Merlin had slipped downstairs to the ballroom, entering a side door undetected. He had always been pretty good at blending in.

The room was so crowded and lively that no one noticed his masked face and his lean body planted against a wall.

He saw Arthur across the room. He was absolutely breathtaking. Merlin's heart fluttered in his chest.

So many people approached Arthur, trying to win him over, it seemed as if they'd never stop coming.

An endless stream of the most beautiful men and women Merlin had ever seen combed for Arthur's attention.

Merlin felt a tightness in his chest and a welling behind his eyes.

Why did he ever think he could have gone through with this? What was he compared to these people?

Swiftly he stepped out a door into the night air.

***

Arthur was feeling extremely overwhelmed and anxious. He finished a dance with yet another lovely suitor, and quickly approached Gwaine and Percy before another could appear.

"Guys," Arthur panted, "I know you're off duty tonight, I'm sorry for asking you this but could you make sure no one follows me outside?"

"Of course," Percy responded, dropping his hands from Gwaine's waist.