Part 3

Cartman had fallen asleep on the couch that night and awoke to Stan and Kenny both steadily snoozing on the hard wood floor. The Sunday morning light already crept through the windows. Cartman say upright on the couch and extended his thick arms and legs in one great stretch. He rested his eyes for a little while longer, enjoying the satisfying calmness of this Sunday morning. One thing was on his mind: Kyle.

He checked his phone-it was 9:30 am. A few minutes later, he was drifting slowly back to a light sleep. He suddenly gasped and jolted back into a state of awareness when he heard a metallic clang in the kitchen. He looked down; Stan and Kenny were still in a deep slumber. Kenny's leg lied over Stan's, which Cartman found quite humorous. He chuckled. Cartman lazily hoisted himself up to walk to the kitchen. He turned the corner in the doorway and there stood Kyle, setting pans on the stove with a carton of eggs in his arms.

"Jesus, you scared me, Kahl. Be a little quieter next time you decide to be a woman for the day," he teased, nodding at the pans around the stove.

"A 'good morning' would have worked just fine," he remarked, not looking directly at Cartman's direction as he set the carton down and began cracking eggs into a pan. Kyle wasn't aware at all of Cartman seeing the photo under his pillow nor was he aware that Cartman had thought pleasant thoughts about him ever since they were younger. However, Cartman did know about Kyle's. And Cartman's sadistic mind immediately thought of ways to toy with him.

Cartman took a few steps towards him. "What are you up to?"

"What does it look like?" Kyle responded, still sternly looking down, perhaps on purpose.

Cartman took a few subtle steps closer and their bodies were about a foot apart. Kyle grew visibly uncomfortable. "Now, don't be a smart-ass," Cartman remarked in an almost calm whisper. Cartman inched forward some more until their faces were not but a few tense inches apart. Kyle no longer stared down, but he stopped what he was doing and glanced up and his brilliant green eyes seemed to sparkle. Cartman could sense Kyle's uneven breath against his cheek. Soon, their chests pressed together and Kyle's stomach flooded with uneven feelings of desire and apprehensiveness. What is Cartman doing?! he thought frantically on the inside.

They closed their eyes and leaned into a kiss that sent both of their hearts fluttering. For both of them, over 7 years of confined feelings were finally unleashed. Kyle passionately, but timidly, grazed Cartman's lips with his.

Just then, in an abrupt act of panic, Cartman jerkily pushed Kyle away from him and snapped in a harsh whisper, "Hurry, pretend to have a conversation."

"What?" Kyle absently responded, felling flustered, confused, excited and angry all at the same time.

At that moment, Stan walked in the kitchen rubbing his eyes sleepily. Cartman must have spotted him just seconds before he made it through the kitchen doorway.

"Yeah, well, you cheated that one time," Cartman said, fabricating whatever conversation he could think of. "Next time we play that game, I'm kickin' your ass."

"What are you guys up to?" Stan asked, oblivious. Thank goodness for Cartman's wit, Kyle thought to himself.

"Kahl's cooking breakfast like a little pussy," Cartman sardonically replied.

Completely ignoring the insult, Stan said, "Hey, thanks Kyle."

As Stan and Cartman began talking, Kyle proceeded to cook but his head was spinning intensely. Because Cartman was now facing him as he spoke to Stan, Kyle could sense Cartman looking at him every few seconds or so. He enjoyed what he and Cartman did, of course. But the question that kept circulating through his head bothered him: why? And how would Cartman even know about Kyle's interest for him in the first place? Maybe Cartman didn't even know. Kyle was feeling extremely dizzy at this point. He didn't want to think about it, but he couldn't help it. It was so sudden and so unlike Cartman. He was angry at Cartman for it, but he was highly disappointed that he'd stopped.

In the middle of their conversation, which Kyle was too anxious to even listen to, Stan's phone rang.

"Hey, look who it is," Stan tauntingly said as he waved his ringing phone in front of Cartman's face. "Hello?" he answered.

Kyle had just finished cooking and began setting out plates.

"Why, yes he is," Stan said almost condescendingly. He held out the phone to Cartman and said, "It's for you," with a smug look on his face.

Kyle didn't look up from what he was doing. Cartman knew who it was, but hesitated to take the phone anyways. With a straight face, Cartman took the phone and, in a monotone voice, said, "Hello, Kat."

Walking away from Cartman, Stan approached Kyle who was dishing out plates. He abandoned the last plate and instead, he took his full plate to the dining room now flooded with brilliant morning light.

"Uh, where's mine?" Stan called from the kitchen.

"Make your own," Kyle snapped.

Half a minute later, Stan came out with a full plate and sat down across from Kyle. "Dude," he said. "What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing," he answered. "Who's, uh, that girl he's talking to?"

Stan shot him a questioning look. "Katherine. Cartman's a lucky little shit, she's one of the hottest girls in the school. Beats me why someone like that would be interested in someone like Cartman."

Someone like Cartman, Kyle thought, mockingly.

"Mhm," Kyle responded, trying to ignoring him. "You know, you shouldn't really force relationships on people."

"Calm down, it was a suggestion. What does it matter to you anyways?"

Kyle tensed up. "I don't know. It just doesn't seem right."

"Well, who knows? Cartman might like her. Who wouldn't?"

Kyle became uncomfortable. He was furious at Stan for trying to interfere with... whatever he and Cartman had going on. But he was aware that Stan didn't know about any feelings Kyle had for Cartman (or any feelings Kyle had for boys for that matter), so it wasn't Stan's fault. Still, he could not help but feel pained and uncomfortable about the whole situation.

Kyle and Stan continued eating their breakfast, talking about usual topics. A few minutes later, Cartman walked in and handed the phone back to Stan. He made no eye contact with Kyle.

"What did she say?" Stan asked eagerly.

"She... uh," Cartman stuttered. Kyle could sense the nervousness in his voice. "We're going to the movies tomorrow, I guess."

"Alright! Way to go, Cartman."

Kyle's heart sank and suddenly he wasn't hungry anymore. He stood up from his chair and without a word, he walked out into the living room.

As Kyle lazily plopped on the couch and turned on the tv, ignoring Kenny who was still asleep on the living room floor, Stan conveyed a concerned face towards Cartman who was still standing in the archway. "Kyle acting weird."

"Yeah..."

"Well," he said, rising from his chair. "I'm gonna head outside and try and fix that piece-of-shit sled that Kenny broke. Meet me out there... and wake Kenny up."

With that, Stan put on a coat and his hat and hastily made his way outside. After he closed the front door behind him, Cartman immediately walked over to Kyle who was sleepily watching tv, but his mind was in other places. Cartman swiftly walked by him, softly kissed him on the lips, and said, "Don't be mad at me."

Kyle affectionately gazed into his dark eyes, softened his stern facial expression, smirked and told him, "I could never stay mad at you."