35; the night we met

Comenzar desde el principio

I looked at him, completely dumbfounded.

"Okay.. fair enough." I bite my lip. "Well done, Matthews."

He smiled triumphantly. "See, it's not the fact I'm good at noticing these things, it's that I really love–"

What?

"–that it's a sign that I'm falling for you, and I couldn't care any less about what anyone thinks."

"I feel the same way." I grabbed his hands in my own. "it seems stupid, but I'm done relating everything back to the past, especially about how my feelings have altered from when I fancied you back on school."

"Is that so?"

"Definitely. I didn't think I could love you anymore than I did in school, but of course that's proven to be so wrong."

He looked at me with his eyes narrowed and his head facing slightly up. A look I've not seen before, but a look that I'd love to learn about.

He relaxed his shoulders and exhaled before saying his next sentence. "I'm glad we've grown so much from the dark past, it's really obvious we're dealing with it amazingly."

"Me too. All it does is drag us down." I mumbled, "it feels like we're making all these new memories to replace - no wait, not replace, to outweigh the old ones."

"Exactly. I'm sick of the guilt, and how childish I was back then. I had no emotional control at all, and my mindset was in the entirely wrong place." he looked away.

I caresses his cheek, and turned his head to face me again, and I smirked. "Aren't you sick of the same old talk?"

"Well yeah-"

"We're not moving in the right direction if all we're doing is traumatising ourselves reverting back to the exact same speech. You know what? I'm sick of talking about the same old thing."

"I guess you're right there." he gave a small smile and pushed my hand off his face, and instead, intwined our fingers together. "Okay, we can talk about right now, right at this moment."

"Uh... the sky is nice." I mused dumbly, staring up.

"No, you idiot." He chuckled. "I'll start, since you're oblivious. I think right now, I'm the happiest I've been in a long while."

"Cute." I snorted.

"Don't make fun of me." he pushed my shoulder playfully.

"Alright. Right now, I'm the happiest I've ever been."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. I am." I said slowly, just to revise my sentence and make sure all over again that what I said is true.

"I'm excited about university, we'll be together, it won't be as if I have to see you monthly or something like I would've if we took separate paths."

"I can relate. I feel a lot more optimistic about making it through the year with you around. I wouldn't be able to handle the distance." I contemplated. "Props to you for making me fall for you. I feel frustrated by it, but sort of glad."

"You're an odd person, you know that?"

"I do." I chuckled. "Honestly though, I'm glad we've come this far."

"So do I. I didn't think at all that my future would turn out this way, I didn't really give any thought about relationships and stuff, it was all academic based."

"Hmm." I said in agreement and a few moments of silence, I shifted my eyes down to our hands.

"Don't you think we talk t' much about our relationship, though?" He spoke up.