~ TWENTY FIVE ~

~~

~~

I never went below 90 miles per hour as I drove. I had to get to the treaty line before Jacob or a Cullen would be waiting for him. The thought of Jacob getting hurt had me pressing my foot even harder on the gas pedal. Emotions were going crazy between all of us, no one would have mercy.

My hands were cold and I was gripping the wheel so tightly, my knuckles were turning white. As I got closer to the line, my anxiety grew. What if I was too late? What if someone was already hurt?

My phone rang and Jasper's name appeared on the screen. I quickly answered it, wanting an kind of an update.

"Avery, Emmett is saying he can smell Jacob coming towards us. Is something wrong?"

"It's nothing, I'm on my way--"

Through the phone I heard Emmett yell out. "He crossed the treaty line!"

"What, why?" Rosalie asked. "Jasper what's going on?"

"Please don't hurt him, Jasper." I begged.

"I-I have to go." Jasper said quickly and hung up.

I threw my phone into the passenger seat and put full force onto the gas pedal.

When I got close enough to the treaty line I began searching for anyone or anything. I suddenly saw a mass of reddish brown fur and being thrown. Emmett appeared and rushed after Jacob. I quickly switched my foot over to the brake and skidded to a harsh stop.

"EMMETT!" I yelled out, as soon as I got out of my car, trying to get his attention.

I was right on the edge of the treaty line. One step and I'd be on the Cullens territory. I hated to threaten Emmett like this but I would do anything to make sure Jacob wouldn't get hurt.

I was trying to find every solution that avoided me shifting. I didn't want the Cullens to feel even more threatened.

Emmett stopped about thirty feet away from me. He had a confused look on his face, like if he didn't understand why I was doing this.

"Why are you trying to help him?" He asked.

"I'm trying to stop him, and I don't want him to get hurt either."

"He came onto our territory. He put himself in danger."

"I know but, he's not thinking clearly--"

"Avery." Emmett sighed, his frustration was growing. I knew he didn't want to attack me. "You followed him here. It was his own battle to fight, but you threw yourself in."

"His battles are my battles."

"I'm sorry."

I was thrown off by Emmett's words. "For what?"