Chapter IX: The Past Revealed

Start from the beginning

She immediately turned on her heel to run back to where she was. If she was correct, only half an hour had passed, and if she could provide a means to help that merchant Giselle, then she was going to take it.

She sprinted as fast as her dress and sandals would allow her to do. It was then that Charlotte realized how some leggings or pants would benefit better for these types of situations. She'd have to ask Tyler or Damien about it when she met up with them. Surely, they were looking for her along with some of the crew. After all, it was way past the scheduled two-hour limit the blond set for her to explore.

Charlotte rounded the last corner before winding up on the main street, again only seeing a semicircle formation of militia men standing around the merchant. Giselle was heaving heavily with a sliver of blood dripping down her temple and an arm that was shaking from an unseen injury.

In front of Giselle was a man who seemed to haunt her memories from one year ago, except he had longer hair and a thinner figure than before. She could never forget that face though and hesitated in her sprint.

Her loud entrance allowed everyone to turn and notice her appearance from the alleyway. Hair disheveled, auburn hair a mess, the tiara somehow still managed to stay in her hair. And despite all the running and movement she did, she did not expect to be winded this quickly. Her dress was speckled with dirt and dust from the walls she happened to graze by as she ran.

"What are you doing here? I told you to get out of here!"

There was no chance now that she was fatigued from battling the man with long brown hair and calculating coffee eyes. Charlotte merely tucked a couple of strands behind her ear and began to slowly compose herself. All that running was now hitting her like a ton of bricks; it was like her lungs and stomach were killing her.

"I wasn't going to leave you to fend for yourself." The girl wheezed but raised her acquired sword nonetheless. "After we get through this safe and sound, could you fix my hair again?" She gave the woman a smile and was surprised when Giselle started to laugh. Some of the men quirked an eyebrow at the estranged behavior she presented.

"If we get out of this safe and sound, I'll do your whole crew's damn hair." The merchant went to lift her sword up a fraction to her opponent with her shoulder giving a shrug. She went into a defensive stance in front of her business. "Sorry, Zeke, but you'll not get past me. Kiddo, get behind me and cover my back. We'll be doing this in style."

Charlotte nodded before running over to Giselle's side and raising her sword. The men gave them another bewildering looks before some chuckled out loud. They were out of their league and still trying to beat them.

The one known as Zeke merely stepped forward as he brandished his sword again but was ignoring Giselle and staring at the auburn-brunette behind her. "Now who is this kitten?"

The girl in question snapped. She could remember the memories of their encounters as if they happened just the other day. "You have got to be kidding me. You were the one who threw me off that bloody cliff, and you ask me who I am? You killed my uncle, kin, and you have the gall to ask me 'who are you?'"

Giselle looked over her shoulder to the girl giving her a shocked expression. "He did what? Wait, when did you two meet?"

Zeke, on the other hand, was bemused by the accusation and laughed so hard he buckled over. Some of the men brought their attention to him while he clutched his sides. Apparently, whatever she said had been funny to him, and Charlotte was not amused.

"He came with Zaine and that Claire woman to slaughter everyone that I knew, and now he's making fun of me." She pouted from behind Giselle who gave her a quizzical expression.