The Elephant in the Room

Start from the beginning

"Well," I say, looking at my watch. "Caesar leaves in 10 minutes and I feel like looking at baby clothes so you both better be ready to leave."

"Excuse me?" Huey raises a brow.

"You ignored me for almost a week. We're spending time together, nigga. So go, get dressed, and bring your ass downstairs by the time I'm down."

I sashay upstairs as Huey and Riley glare at me, going to their rooms.

I walk in, Caesar had just gotten out the shower and had a towel around his waist.

"Ya know," I say, placing my arms around his neck. "I read that sex can help pregnancy."

Caesar chuckles,

"As good as that sounds, I have work," He kisses my head, moving my arms. 

"You're no fun," I pout.

"Maybe next time. Trust me, I wanna be sober the next time I get a piece of that, "Caesar smacks my butt as I pass him. I giggled, grabbing his uniform from the closet.

"What time do you think you'll be home tonight?"

"They're letting me off early so probably 10?"

I nod, handing him his uniform. I got into the closet, finding new clothes to wear.

"Where are you going?" He asks, putting on lotion.

"I wanna go to Carter's to look at baby clothes. I'm taking Huey and Riley with me." 

"You're all cool now?"

"Yup," I reply. "We talked it out and cleared the elephant in the room."

"Well, that's good," Caesar walks over to the closet, grabbing a hair tie from the bin. He was in his boxers. I jump on the bed and pat the spot in front of me. Caesar sits, handing me the hair tie. Getting on my knees, I put all his hair together.

"I'm excited," I say. "Just thinking of little babies running around. Huey, Riley, and I are the last Freemans born, ya know. There's no other Freemans other than us."

"Really?"

"Yep. It'll be nice to keep the Freeman name alive."

Caesar shoots me a glance before looking forward.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Babe."

"It's just," Caesar finds a way to put his words together, "You make it seem like the twins won't be Caesars."

I blinked, recalling what I had said.

"Oh no, babe, I didn't mean it like that. They'll be part Freeman and part Caesar."

"So you wouldn't change your last name?" Caesar asks. I shake my head,

"Even though being a Freeman has been hell, there's a huge legacy behind that. I could never give that up."

"Oh," Caesar sounded disappointed. I finish his bun and he finishes getting dressed. He only kissed me on the head before leaving. I could tell something was wrong.

Huey and Riley were ready to leave and I sat in the passenger seat as Riley drove and Huey sat in the back.

"You know," Huey begins, "I never sit in the back."

"Things change," I say. Huey rolled his eyes. On the way to Carter's I brought up my conversation with Caesar.

"He wants you to change yo last name?" Riley asked. I nodded,

"I think he was upset that I didn't want to."

"Well I could understand why," Huey says, "Your last name carries family history."

"Exactly. But I guess he really had his mind set on me changing my last name," I said. "Damn, he knocks you up and thinks he owns you after that."

Riley chuckled,

"I think ya'll should jus talk it out. I mean, he couldn't be that damn upset."

I shrug.

Getting to Carter's, we look at all the baby clothes, toys, and strollers.

"Damn," I say.

"What?" Huey asks.

"We're gonna have to get car seats soon."

"Don't remind me," Riley groans. "That shit gon be torture."

I nod.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," I look at my brother. "I'm having twins."

"Twins?!" They both question. I nod.

"That's 4 damn babies," Riley points out.

"Duhh," I roll my eyes, "I can add."

"What do you think they'll be?" Huey asked.

"I have a gut feeling that they'll be boys."

"Why boys?"

"Because I grew up with you two idiots and boys kinda run my life," I say with an eye roll. Both my brothers snort. "What about you?"

"I know it's a boy," Huey said.

"How yo ass know?" Riley questions.

"I just know. Jazmine thinks it's gonna be a girl though."

"A baby girl would be cute," I coo. "Think about it. She'll probably look exactly like Jazmine but act like you."

Huey rolls his eyes. 

"What about you, Reezy?" I look at Riley who was looking at a cute baby boy onesie that said "Daddy's best friend" on it. 

"I dunno," He says. "I honestly don't care. As long as the lil nigga healthy and don't give me problems."

I giggled.