17: Teach Me Your Ways

Start from the beginning

           The guilt was stopping him from playing, even though the want was clearly written across his face. That’s when I got an idea. I didn’t know if it’d work, but it was worth a try.

           “Will you teach me?” I asked, watching as his eyes widened a bit. I hoped I wasn’t pushing him too far. “You wouldn’t have to play it, or hold it even.”

           He considered this, his eyes sweeping to the guitar then back towards me again. “I’ll try. But if I can’t, you just have to learn on your own,” he said with a small smile.

           "Great. When do we start?” I asked, excited. I hoped this was one step in the right direction. One step towards Mase playing again and doing what he loves.  

*   *   *

           “No way, Lyla. You have to come,” Scarlett said, not even considering no as answer.

           We were sitting at a coffee shop not far from school, drinking lattes. An annoying amount of posters had been put up at school advertising a huge school dance coming up. I never gave Prom a second thought, but according to Scarlett I didn’t have a choice in the matter

           “Look, I can’t even dance. And I don’t wear ball gowns or whatever,” I said while shrugging.

            She rolled her eyes before answering. “You don’t have to buy a ball gown, genius. You can wear any dress. And trust me, no one will even notice you suck at dancing.”

           “Thanks for your kind words. Regardless, I don’t have a date. So I guess I can’t go anyway,” I said. Scarlett apparently was way over Cameron and seeing some guy from another high school.

           “Mase. Duh. It’s not like he’s planning on asking Tracy since he can’t even remember the poor girl’s name,” she said, throwing her head back with laughter. I couldn’t help but to chuckle at the memory, and the offended look on Tracy’s face.

           “He doesn’t seem like the Prom type. Let’s just see what happens. If he asks me, I’ll go. If not, I don’t plan on tagging along with you and what’s-his-face as a third wheel,” I said, already forgetting her boyfriend’s name.

           “Fine. Speaking of Adam, I’m supposed to meet up with him. Text me as soon as Mase pops the question,” she said, winking before getting up and heading towards the door.

           Things were different between Mase and me. Not in a bad way though. It was almost as if he telling me his story broke down an invisible wall between us. We were closer now than before. The thing I respected most about him, though, was that he didn’t push me to talk about my mother. I didn’t know if I was ready yet. I just knew that once I was, he’d be the first person I spilled the contents of my heart to.

           I finished the last of my drink and headed home, hoping Mase and I could start my guitar lessons tonight. It’d been a few days since we talked about it, but he hadn’t brought it up since. I knew it made him feel on edge so I left it alone for a while. I was growing impatient though, wanting him to play again soon.

           I pulled into the driveway at the same time Ruth got home. Gabe climbed out of the back seat, running towards me.

           “Hi sissy!” he yelled, wrapping his arms around my knees. His oversized backpack hanging off his shoulders.

           “Hey, kid. How was school?” I asked, brushing the hair from his forehead. I cherished every moment I had with Gabe. After hearing Mase’s story, I felt terrified at the thought of losing Gabe.

           The relationship between Mase and Gabe was one I admired too. You’d never guess the two weren’t blood related. Mase spent a lot of time doing “boys things” with Gabe that I wasn’t allowed to join.

           “So we have a pet frog in class, right? And today, he got lost. But then we found him under Ashley’s desk and she screamed so loud! It was so cool,” he said, holding my hand and bouncing beside me as we walked into the house.  

           “Oh yeah? And is Ashley your friend?” I asked.

           His face scrunched up, as if my question offended him. “Ew, sissy. That’s gross. She has cooties,” he said, sticking his tongue out.

           “Do all girls have cooties?” I asked as we walked to the kitchen.

           “Not you or mommy. But the other ones do,” he said, confidently.

           “Good point. Well, I think Mase has cooties,” I said, just as Mase walked into the kitchen.Mase smiled, shaking his head.

           “If he has cooties, why do you hold his hand?” Gabe asked, waiting for an answer. Both Mase and Ruth snorted, trying to hide their laughter.

           My face heated up as I tried to think of a response. When did Gabe see me holding Mase’s hand? The kid was sneaky. He probably saw a lot more than he should. And then, just to make matters worse, my father walked in.

           “Hey kids,” he said, smiling. He walked over to Ruth, kissing her forehead. “Hey hon. What’s so funny?”

           “You’ll have to ask the kids,” she said, biting her lip to keep the smile from her face.

           “Well?” my father asked, turning towards us.

           “Lyla says Mase has cooties. But she still likes to hold his hand,” Gabe said, shrugging.

           “Hey, I never said I liked it,” I said, trying to defend myself. By the amused look on Mase’s face, I knew I was digging my hole deeper.

           “You,” my father said, pointing to Mase. “I expect you to ask my permission before dating my daughter.”

           “Yes, sir,” Mase said, a smirk on his lips. He gave him an army salute before turning towards me, winking. The blush had just barely faded, only to find its way back up again, coloring my cheeks a scarlet red.

Author's Note: Another upload! Hope you guys like it. VOTE if you did. And I love, love, love reading your comments so keep them coming. :) -Shahira