"No, you never mentioned it."

"I'm sure I did. I mean, at least I thought I did." He wrinkled his brow for a moment.

"You've been the absent-minded professor, lately," she joked. "Don't forget my birthday which is coming up in a couple of months..." she teased.

"Since when have I ever forgotten your birthday?" he smiled at her.

He had the greatest smile. It was just a fraction crooked on one side but very sexy. And his eyes twinkled behind his glasses. Jeez, Nora, get a grip. You've been best friends since the second grade. Don't mess it up.

"Since never," she grinned, feeling better than she had all night.

Later That Night:

Nora was snuggled up in a throw blanket next to Edison on the large sofa. A bowl of half-eaten popcorn and two Cokes sat on the coffee table.

They had just finished watching the movie "Alien," one of Nora's favorites.

She stretched, closing her eyes a moment. She felt something wet on her face. She opened her eyes to find Sparky, a black, miniature Dachshund, looking back at her with his loving eyes.

"Sweet but gross, Sparks!" she laughed. Sparks was her nickname for him because he had a fiery personality. Sparky wagged his tail and settled between them once more. As Edison pet Sparky, his hand touched Nora's. They both felt a tingling sensation. Nora pulled hers away embarrassed.

"Hey, can we talk about what happened to Carter and Alex the other day?" she asked, trying to sound casual.

"Later, okay?"

"Yeah, sure," Nora answered, wondering why he was shutting her out. It felt like he knew something that she didn't. Her phone rang and she picked it up from the coffee table.

She picked it up. "Hello?"

Edison watched her.

"Okay. Yeah, I'm alright. Is he okay? I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. Love you too. Bye."

Nora clicked a button and set down her phone.

"My aunt has to leave for the night. My cousin was caught drinking and puked all over my uncle when he was confronted."

"Oh, wow," Edison laughed.

Sparky started to snore.

"You're welcome to stay the night here. I mean if you want to," Edison said.

"I haven't stayed the night here since we were little. Anyway, I think I can handle being alone for one night."

"I know you can. I just meant that I'd feel better if you stayed here. I could go to your house and stay but Sparky needs looking after."

Nora bent her head.

Instantly Edison knew she was crying again. He gently moved Sparky to the other side of the couch and put his arm around Nora.

Damn, Nora thought. I'm such a baby. Why am I crying again...

"Just stay here tonight. It will help keep your mind off things. I'll sleep on the sofa."

"I feel weird."

"Whatever for?" Edison rubbed her back. "Sit tight. I'm going to fix up my room for you." He cleared the dishes from the coffee table.

"Thanks, Edison."

"No problem. Be back."

Sparky lay on his back, his little paws in the air, still snoring.

Half an hour later, Nora was tucked into Edison's queen size bed. He had changed the sheets and the scent of Febreze hung in the air. There was a small lamp on the nightstand with a digital clock and a stack of books.

"You're an awesome friend," she smiled at him.

"As are you," he said as he grabbed some clothes from the closet. He paused at the door.

"Get me if you need anything at all."

"I think I'll just sleep, but thanks."

"See you in the morning then," he closed the door.

She switched off the lamp, and as she laid her head on his pillow and pulled the soft comforter tightly around her, her thoughts wandered to Edison sleeping on the sofa. The thoughts drifted into a dream of him asking her on a real date.

She woke up a few hours later and glanced at the clock. Its numbers glowed 3:00. Strange, she thought. She was usually a sound sleeper. She pulled herself from the warm bed with a sigh as she realized she needed to use the bathroom. A few minutes later she washed her hands and glanced up into the mirror.

A stranger stared back at her in the reflection. She had long, dark hair, with a silver streak going down the side. It was her intense eyes and the slow, curving smile that made Nora scream.

Downstairs, Edison heard the scream and dropped the book he had been reading. He bounded up the stairs with Sparky close behind him. He opened the door to his room but found the bed empty. Then he noticed the closed bathroom door.

"Nora!" He banged on the door.

Nora unlocked the door and stood in front of him, wearing a pair of his sweatpants and t-shirt. Her hair was tangled, her eyes wide with shock, but most concerning was the scratch on her right arm. It looked like someone had dragged three nails down her skin.

Everything felt fuzzy as Nora tried to process what she had seen. Was it real? It had to have been because she'd felt it. She had just been standing there, staring at the apparition, when her arm began to burn.

Sparky's yipping seemed to pull Nora out of her shock a little. He started to growl, circling their feet.

Edison gingerly examined her arm. "What happened?"

"I think your house is haunted." 

****UPDATES  FRIDAYS****

Note: I've updated quite a few times, and if you've received multiple messages from me, I apologize. I didn't realize that Wattpad sent notifications even when I just correct a few things. What a newbie! 

As always, I'm thankful for any feedback or other comments.

Feel free to send me a message if you want me to add your book to my reading list, or if you just want to say hi.

Please Comment and Vote! Thank you. :)