Chapter 38 - Wanderer

Start from the beginning

Once Nivara was satisfied leaving Willow mothering Creed she turned to the sizable crowd of Ravenback Tinker Moles. The injured one had staggered to his feet with the aid of two others, waving them aside despite him still clutching his wound.

"What in Hell's name is that creature still doing here? It dared to attack me, the Raven Lords-"

An axe handle buried itself in the back of his head, immediately knocking him out cold. 

"Get this indrada outside and patch him up before he gets us all killed. If he disturbed the Morrosai we'll have more than Hellgrind to pay." Calvaros ordered, his claws embedded in the accusatory but detachable axe.

Nivara's mouth tweaked upwards as his officers gave a claw crossed salute, dragging the idiot outside to leave them be. Calvaros sighed, disconnecting his weapon with an unceremonious 'thunk,' removing his raven mask and bowed apologetically to the group.

"I hope this royal idiot does not affect our arrangement? 

She shrugged, deciding to rescue a pot of tea brewing outside on the camping stove before silently directing the duo outside to have a private conversation. Calvaros immediately relaxed as he pulled over two makeshift chairs. Nivara balanced the cups and poured the tea with her Trait, her ethereal mist casually passing it to him.

"The only reason I brought the fool is because he’s next in line to be chief. The Raven Lord sees promise in him, Leaffa knows why."

He collapsed into his chair, sipping his tea to try and quell his fury. Nivara sat beside him, her Trait acting as a suitable table. She knew it had to be serious if he was willing to tarnish the name of the inventor who had created the Labyrinth over a single one of his kin. Tinker Moles were loyal to a fault.

"So he’ll be retiring soon? I never thought Rayner was the type to provide a successor, considering he’s an elf and all.”

The Tinker Mole snorted, knowing full well how she felt about elves. After all, he had been the one to heal her many scars when he had freed her as a child. He was her only friend in the desert wasteland but she still didn't appreciate him calling her Nessra in public for all to hear. That name had died alongside her family.

“I’d rather betray my kind to the Taishin than train Noir as our Ravenlords replacement."

Nivara almost spat out her tea, realising how serious he was. 

"The Ravenlord believes that after the last clan war he should ‘prepare for the worst.’ Hell’s teeth, he’s even convinced the Fatekeeper to pass on her knowledge to another and she’s been with us for decades!”

She allowed him to rant, trying to get her past with the Taishin out of her head. Nivara sympathised with both sides despite her bias about the elves; she knew that the war against Tarragon was not easy.

Nocturus had tried to remain impassive but once Neridia tightened their borders they had no choice but to defend their own or ally with them. But once the war ended and the anti demon barriers were constructed they decided to opt for peace at the cost of allowing the barriers to segregate them further.

 They needed to rebuild after the war and for that Nivara couldn't blame them. The Dominion, the name the Caldorians had given their own barrier loomed above them, only now deserving of her attention. The fact she had forgotten it was even there was what scared me the most.

"But it is rare for a Traited such as yourself to ask for a request for aid. You normally escort them to our territory and no more. Why now?"

Nivara placed her half drunk cup on to her table, crossing her legs thoughtfully but in fact she felt a bit apprehensive. Ever since she had sworn in as a Mist Maiden she had decided to rescue as many families or abandoned children as possible.