Chapter 3

Turns out Maven was one step ahead of me and had already ordered a new door. When the workers came to install it I felt like I should thank Maven but then I remembered it was him who destroyed my door in the first place. After that I just wanted to slap him upside the head.

Once the new door was in place I decided I would go and face my angry boss. No point in avoiding the inevitable. The later I am the angrier he'll be.

I bid the workers goodbye and close my new door behind them. I look around my small apartment. Pieces of wood lay everywhere. That's gonna be hard to clean up.

I sigh and rub eyes. What time is it even? I glance over at the clock above my new door; 10:26am. I should probably get dressed.

*~~~~~~~~~*

The summer heat has me panting by the time I make it to HQ. I eagerly make my way into the air conditioned building. I push my way through the glass doors and close my eyes in pure bliss as the cool air wraps around me, cooling my boiling skin.

I open my eyes and quickly make my way over to the reception desk. I peer at the small, old women on the other side of the desk. Even though she looked like a sweet old lady she is anything but that.

"Barbra." My voice held nothing but contempt for the women. She was a nasty old bat that has nothing but hatred in her heart.

She looks up with narrowed eyes in my direction. A small snarl slowly makes its way onto her lips. I return the gesture.

"Is the boss in?" My question requires a simple yes or no but that was too easy for her.

"Why? Did he call for you? Let's hope he fires you once and for all." Her snarl turns into a smirk.

"Actual we were planning to discuss my raise." I smile at the old witch. It was a lie but she doesn't have to know that.

Her smirk quickly turns into a frown. The hatred clear in her eyes. Honestly I dont know why she dislikes me. Ever since the day she started working here she's had it out for me. I dont think we've ever even had a conversation where she hasn't insulted me.

She looks away from me and starts clicking away on her computer.

"He's in." Her face scrunches up in annoyance, making her wrinkles more prominent then before.

I turn away from her and make my way to the elevator.

I step inside and press the botton for the top floor. I rest my hip against the railing and glace at the other people in the elivator.

A small laugh escapes from my lips at the sight before me. Two men and a girl stand cowering in the corner, refusing to make eye contact with me.

I almost feel bad for them. The fear in their eyes too obvious to miss. Its wasnt always like this. Actually, im not sure when this even began; people fearing me that is.

When I first started working at HQ I was a nobody. No one ever looked at me twice. I guess when word got out about how good I am at what I do people started to look twice; they started to fear me. Imagine if they knew what I really am.

Not that I care. It makes it easier to avoid people, easier to protect myself.

A loud beep brings me out of my thoughts. I look at the doors in front of me that are beggining to open. Before the doors are even half way open the three cowering people run out, crashing into one another allong the way.

I luagh once again as the doors begin to close. I shake my head in amusment. It nevers gets old.

Finally I reach the top floor. I make my way out of the elevator and towards the boss' office. I knock twice before entering, not waiting for and invitation.

The man sitting behind the big desk looks up from his laptop with a frown.

"Ruby, have I not told you to wait for an answer before coming in?" His voice is stern but he's not angry; at least he doesnt show it. Like everyone else here he too fears me. Not as much as the others but enough to hold his tongue when infront of me.

"Sorry." My voices holds only bordom. My boss' face becomes annoyed at my empty apology but ignores it.

"I was made aware of what you did last night." I fight the urge to grin at him as I take a seat infront of his desk.

"I dont apritiate you putting HQ in danger of being exposed. Now before you say anything I want you to know that is not why I called you here." He quickly puts his hands up when I try to defend myself against his accusation of exposing HQ. First Maven and now him? I clench my fists but keep silent.

His face becomes relieved once he realizes I dont plan to argue with him.

"I called you here because I have an assignment for you." I stay silent, waiting him to further explain.

"You're aware that in the past couple of years it has come to our attention that some rogues are comming together?" I nod my head. Memories of that night push their way into my mind. I close my eyes for a second trying to push down the lump in my throat.

The night my parents died was when I realized that rogues were starting to work together. It had never been heard of before. They're called rogues for reason.

"Well a group has been tracked down in Canada. Our trackers have pushed them into a small town called Black Falls were they are currently hiding. Theres a pack of werewolves residing in that town as well. It is your top priority to protect the members of that pack and capture as many rogues as you can. If its not possible, kill them." I take in all the information I was just given in a daze. The only thing that stood out to me was the fact that I'd be going to Canada, my home country. Where my parents died.

"Ruby!" At the sound of my name being yelled Im easily snapped out of my thoughts.

"Yes?" I answer sheepishly.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" I slowly shake my head without looking him in the eye. I might be a force to be reckoned with but he's still my boss.

"You flight leaves tonight. I have all your accomodations ready in Black Falls. You can go home for now. Id like it if you were to contact me when you arrive at the airpirt tomorrow." He hands me a small folder. I take it from his hands.

"That has all the information we were anble to collect on the group of rogues. It also has inforation on the pack in Black Falls. The adress for the hotel youll be staying at is on the first sheet of paper." I flip the folder open, quickly looking through everything inside.

"Is that everything?" I stand from the seat as I close the folder.

"Yes. You may go now. Good luck Ruby." I turn away from him and leave his office.

Im so lost in my thoughts about going back to Canada that I dont even realise that Im already at my appartment. I shake myself out of it and unlock my door. I step inside and make my way to my room.

I throw the folder in my arms on top of the pillows and I slowly crawl onto the bed and colapse beside it.

I guess I should start packing.

____________________________________________

Don't Forget To Comment & Vote