42-Season 4

I stood at the grill with Carol, smiling when everyone eating started saying hello to Daryl. He looked rather confused by it. "Smells good." He said, grabbing a bowl.

"Just so you know, I liked you first." I said with a smirk.

"Stop." Daryl tossed a piece of meat into his mouth. "You know, Rick brought in a lot of them, too."

"Not recently." Carol said. "Giving strangers sanctuary, keeping people fed, you're gonna have to learn to live with the love."

"She's right, you know." I said, tossing a piece of meat into my mouth.

Carol smacked my hand. "You've already had two bowls!"

I put my hands up in defense. "I'm sorry! It's all I've been craving lately!"

Daryl chuckled, walking around the grill and rubbing my swollen belly with a clean hand. "I need you to see something." Carol said to him. "Patrick, you wanna take over?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She handed the tongs to Patrick and as they were about to walk away, he spoke. "Uh, Mr. Dixon, I just wanted to say thank you for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat, sir. And I'd be honored to shake your hand."

I smiled, watching Daryl look down at Patrick's outstretched hand, then licked his fingers clean and shook Patrick's hand. Patrick smiled brightly, turning to keep an eye on the grill. Daryl kissed my cheek, leaving with Carol.

"Excuse me, ma'am?"

I turned back to Patrick, smiling softly. "Need something?"

"Can I ask you a question?" He looked nervous.

"Go ahead."

He flipped a chunk of meat on the grill. "Is Mr. Dixon your husband?"

I chuckled. "It would take lots of convincing for a man like him to ask someone to marry him."

"What kind of man is he?"

"A complicated one."

"Not as complicated as you." I sighed, knowing that voice all too well.

"Leave me the hell alone, Jamie."

"I'm your mother, why won't call me mom?"

"You know damn well why, get your food and go."

She sighed, grabbed a bowl and left. "If you don't mind, why don't you like your mom?" Patrick asked cautiously, thinking he would cross a line.

I shook my head at her as she walked away. "Let's just say she won't be winning any mother of the year awards." Patrick nodded in understanding.

I looked over my shoulder when I heard Daryl's bike roar to life. I jogged over to him, as fast as an eight month pregnant woman can. "Hey, thought you were gonna leave without saying goodbye?"

Daryl chuckled, resting a hand on my hip. "Nah, you'd just chase me down anyways." I smacked his chest playfully, kissing him for as long as he was willing to show affection in public.

"Come back to me, you got that?"

Daryl nodded. "I always do."

"I love you."

"Love you, too." His voice was a whisper. I chuckled as he drove off.

I turned back around, walking into the cell block. I found Maggie, who was digging through a box. "What's that?" I asked.

She looked up, a smile on her face. "Oh, crap, I wanted this to be a surprise!"

I peaked inside the box, gasping. "Where did you find all this?"

She laughed, pulling out a pink onesie. "Some of the Woodbury residents had old baby stuff they didn't need anymore so I took it so I could surprise you. There's boys and girls clothes in here. It gets better, come with me."

She grabbed my hand, dragging me upstairs and into mine and Daryl's cell, where Beth and Elizabeth appeared to be finishing assembling a crib. "Oh, you guys!" I hugged all three of them. "Thank you so much!"

Beth grabbed a box out of the crib. "We also got some supplies in case something goes wrong while you're giving birth. These were really hard to find. We don't need another...unprepared birth."

I nodded. "Thank you, guys. So much. This means a lot to me. I know how much this will mean to Daryl as well, even though he won't show it."

They all laughed. "We don't expect any verbal thanks from him." Maggie said. "Maybe just a subtle nod of appreciation."

I chuckled. "Yeah, that's probably all you'll get out of him."

"Hey ladies, what's all the fuss about in here?" I rolled my eyes. One of the Woodbury residents has been pining after me since he got here. It's really started getting on my nerves.

"Dennis, leave me alone. I'm with Daryl. Have been for around three years now. As you can see, we're very happy." I said, rubbing my belly.

Dennis smirked, looking me up and down. "Well, until I see a ring on that finger, I'm not giving up. Catch ya later, sweetheart." He winked at me, walking away. We stayed quiet, waiting until the cell block door slammed shut.

We all let out a sigh of relief. "I can't believe that guy is still trying to get in your pants."

I shook my head. "I know, right? They're so small, even I can barely fit in them!"

We all laughed. Liz smacked my shoulder. "Speaking of, you getting any lately?"

I felt my cheeks get hot. "Yes, actually, he thought he would hurt the baby, so it took some begging, which always gets him going."

"Is he that big?" Liz asked in a hushed voice.

I laughed, holding my hands out in front of me to give them the general idea. Maggie gasped. "My god, girl! You really lucked out!"

We all laughed again and I grunted suddenly. "Are you okay?" Beth asked.

I shook my head. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. The baby kicked. You wanna feel?"

Instantly, Beth's hand was on my stomach, gasping when it kicked again. Everyone took turns, smiles on all of our faces. "It's just magical, ain't it?" Beth asked.

We all nodded in agreement, sighing in unison. "Well, ladies, now all we do is wait for our men to come back. What do you wanna do until then?"

~*~

I was laying in bed when Daryl got back. It was hours later, so I was worried sick, literally. I felt like throwing up. "Hey." I opened my eyes, sighing in relief.

"Oh, thank god." I pulled myself up so I was sitting, with his assistance. He sat beside me on the bed, silent.

"What happened?" I asked, linking my arm through his.

"Run went bad. Zach died."

I sighed, kissing his shoulder. "I'm so sorry, baby."

Daryl rest his head on mine for a second. "Take your boots off, pants, too, c'mon."

Daryl untied his boots and slipped them off, then unbuckled his belt and kicked his pants to the ground. "Come here." I pulled back the covers, getting both of us under them and I cuddled up to his side.

"Sleep, baby." I whispered, tracing swirls onto his chest with my fingers. "You need it."