25

"Rick and Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked as we walked into the house. Luke rushed over, giving both Daryl and I hugs.

"No."

"We heard a shot."

"Maybe they found Randall." Lori suggested.

"We found him." I shrugged.

"Is he back in the shed?" Maggie asked.

"He's a walker."

"Did you find the walker that bit him?" Hershel asked.

Glenn shook his head. "No, the weird thing is he wasn't bit."

"His neck was broke."

"So he fought back." Patricia said.

"Thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other. And Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up behind him. They were together."

Lori stood up, walking up to Daryl. "Would you please get back out there, find Rick and Shane and find out what on earth is going on?"

Daryl nodded. "You got it."

"Thank you."

When we went outside, we were shocked to see the field behind the barn filled with walkers, all coming this way. We called the others outside, watching the herd. "Patricia, kill the lights." Hershel ordered.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway. Should we just go inside?"
Glenn asked.

Daryl shook his head. "Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about. A herd that size would rip the house down."

Lori rushed outside. "Carl's gone."

"What?"

"He-he was upstairs. I can't find him anymore."

"Maybe he's hiding."

"He's supposed to be upstairs. I'm not leaving without my boy."

"We're not. We're gonna look again. We're gonna find him." Carol said, leading Lori back inside.

Maggie came out with the gun bag. She handed Glenn a shotgun, loading her own. "Maggie."

"You grow up country, you pick up a thing or two."

Daryl shook his head. "I got the number-it's no use."

"You can go if you want." Hershel said, cocking his gun.

"You gonna take 'em all on?"

"We have guns. We have cars." He said.

"Kill as many as we can, and we'll use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm."

"Are you serious?" Daryl asked.

"This is my farm. I'll die here." Hershel stated, leaving the porch.

"All right. It's a good a night as any." Daryl jumped over the railing, holding his hand out for me.

I shook my head. "I'm gonna stay here with Luke, I'm not comfortable leaving him." Daryl nodded, opting to simply kiss me before leaving.

I watched nervously as Daryl and everyone else took off. The barn went up in flames. Maybe it was Rick and Shane.

I went back inside and Luke ran over, sobbing into my shirt. "Mama I'm scared."

"I can't find him anywhere." Lori panted.

"So maybe he snuck outside."

"What do I do?!"

"He was here. He must've run off, maybe looking for Rick or just went after Randall himself."