43

That morning, Daryl and I woke up to gunshots and screaming. Daryl put on his pants and boot quickly, grabbing his crossbow. "Stay here." He rushed out the door, along with a few others. I didn't listen, of course. I sat up, struggling to put on my boots and pulled myself to my feet, making my way out of the cell block. By the time I got outside, the chaos had ended. I passed Maggie, who was helping Michonne into our cell block. I saw Rick trying to clean the blood off his hands with a bottle of water.

"Rick," He looked over at me. "Where's Daryl?"

I started walking over, but he held a hand up. "No, don't...don't come near me. There's a kind of flu going around. Started in D. Killed Patrick. I might be infected, same with Daryl. I'm sorry."

I held my belly instinctively. "So...I can't touch him?"

Rick shook his head. "No, not for a while at least. I'm sorry."

I felt tears in my eyes. "Charlie?" I turned around to see Daryl sheathing his knife.

He started walking towards me. "Daryl, you can't." Rick reminded him.

Daryl's fists clenched and unclenched. "What if she...has the baby and I can't be there."

"You will be." I nodded. "I'll make sure you're there. You should go, before I try to hug you, it's hard enough that I can't touch you as it is."

Daryl nodded, walking away. I turned back to Rick. "There's gonna be a council meeting later. You shouldn't go. A few people on the council were in D."

I nodded. "Okay, I'll talk to Hershel later and ask what they decided. See you later."

I turned around, walking back into the cell block.

~*~

My relationship with Daryl has been reduced to talking to him through a window in cell block A, otherwise known as Death Row. "You okay?" He asked, leaning his head against the window.

I nodded. "As good as I can be without you. Are you okay?"

Daryl shook his head. "We gotta bury all those bodies. I'm sick of losing people is all."

I placed my palm on the cold glass. "I know, baby, I'm sorry. So am I."

"God, I wish I could touch you." Daryl groaned, pressing his hand to the glass, right over mine.

He had his eyes closed and his forehead was pressed against the glass. I smiled softly. "What say we get married?" I suggested, Daryl opened his eyes, brow lifted. "I'm serious. Once this whole thing is over, you and I should go out, find a couple rings. No ceremony, that's ridiculous. Just rings." I chuckled. "And sex. Lots of sex."

Daryl chuckled. "Sounds like a plan."