4

Jacqui sighed as she scrubbed at a pair of pants, watching Shane and Carl playing in the water. "I'm beginning to question the division of labor here. Can someone explain to me how the women wound up doing all the Hattie McDaniel work?"

Amy scoffed. "The world ended. Didn't you get the memo?"

I see Carol glance back at Ed nervously. "It's just the way it is. I do miss my Maytag."

Andrea sighed with a small smile on her face. "I miss my Benz, my Sat Nav."

Jacqui chuckled. "I miss my coffee maker with that duel-drip filter and built in grinder, honey."

Amy grinned. "I miss my computer...and texting."

"What do you miss, Charlotte?" Amy asked me.

I shrugged. "My guitar, singing. I always found it relaxing after a...hard day."

Amy smiled. "Sing something for us!" She suggested.
Andrea and Carol agreed with her, urging me to sing. I shook my head. "Maybe some other time."

Andrea tapped her finger against her temple. "I'll hold you to that."
We continued our work before I saw Andrea smirk from the corner of my eye. "I miss my vibrator."

"Oh!" Jacqui exclaimed as we all started laughing.

Amy's face turned red as she laughed. "Oh my god!"

Carol shot a glance back at Ed. "Me too."
She whispered, causing us all to laugh louder.

Ed walked down, a cigarette in hand. "What's so funny?"

Andrea sighed. "Just swapping war stories Ed." Carol quietly agreed, nodding her head. Andrea sighs, looking back at Ed, who hasn't backed off and was watching Carol intently. "Problem, Ed?"

Ed glared at her. "Nothin' that concerns you. And you ought to focus on your work. This ain't no comedy club."

Andrea huffed and looked at Ed, got up and walked over to him, a wet pair of jeans in hand. "Ed, tell you what-you don't like how your laundry is done, you are welcome to pitch in and do it yourself. Here." She threw a pair of pants at his chest. Ed angrily threw them in her face. "Oh!" I clenched my fists around the shirt I was washing.

"Ain't my job, missy." He spat in her face.

Amy stood up, shaking her head. "Andrea, don't."

Andrea pointed a finger at Ed's chest. "What is your job, Ed? Sitting on your ass smoking cigarettes?"

I stood as well, seeing a look I recognized all too well, ready to stop him if he tried anything.

Ed took a step closer to Andrea. "Well it sure as hell ain't listening to some uppity smart-mouthed bitch. Tell you what-come on. Let's go." Ed points at the ground in front of him, glaring at Carol.

As Carol begins to move over to him, Andrea defends her. "I don't think she needs to go anywhere with you, Ed."

Ed clenched his jaw. "And I say it's none of your business. Come on now. You heard me."

Andrea gives Carol a look. "Carol..."

Carol shook her head in desperation. "Andrea, please. It doesn't matter."

"Hey, don't think I won't knock you on your ass. Just 'cause you some college-educated cooze, all right?" Andrea gasped at Ed's insult.

Ed turned his focus back to Carol. "Now you come on now or you gonna regret it later."

Jacqui put her hands on Carol's shoulders, glaring at Ed. "So she can show up with fresh bruises later, Ed? Yeah, we've seen them."

Ed laughed. "Stay out of this. Now come on! You know what? This ain't none of y'all's business. You don't want to keep prodding the bull here, okay? Now I am done talking. Come on!" Ed grabbed Carols arm tightly.

Andrea began shaking her head. "No, no. Carol, you don't have-"
Carol muttered something to Andrea that I couldn't hear.

Ed's face turned red with anger. "You don't tell me what! I tell you what!"
Ed raised his hand, smacking Carol across the face. Then everybody was yelling and hitting Ed while he tried to pull Carol away, who was holding her bright red cheek that now had tears cascading down it.
"Come here! Come here!" He yanked harder on Carol's arm.
"Get off her!" I yelled, yanking Ed off of her and throwing him to the ground, standing over him.

"Get the hell off me!" Ed shouted.

I heard nothing but the sound of breaking bones and muffled cries for me to stop. All I saw was red, everything was red. I had began delivering a flurry of punches to Ed's face, not even giving him a chance to protect himself. Why should I? I felt people tugging at my arms.

Carol was crying. "No!"

Andrea was breathing heavy. "It's okay."

"No!" Carol cried again. I didn't stop.

Amy was grabbing at my arms. "Charlotte, stop! Just stop!"

"Stop it! Stop!" Carol was full blown sobbing now.

I stopped punching him, gripping his bloody and swollen face in my hand tightly. "I used to date an asshole just like you before everything went to shit. I've gotten a lot stronger since then. If you think I won't kill you if you lay a single finger on your wife or your daughter, think again. Do you understand me you piece of shit?"

Ed nodded, his voice slurred. "Yes."

"I swear to God, I will beat you to death." I spat.

Carol was struggling against Andrea's grasp. "Ed!"
I spat in his face before walking off, ignoring the throbbing pain in my knuckles.

Andrea let go of Carol. "No. God!" She sobbed as she rushed to his side. I began walking away, rubbing my bloody knuckles on my jeans.

"Jesus, girl. You beat him to hell."

I turned quickly, holding a knife to their throat. Shane had his hands up, eyes wide. "Sorry." I lowered the knife, sheathing it with the others.

"You got a fire in ya." He spoke, making conversation.

I rolled my eyes, walking faster. "Man, shut the hell up."