18

I left the tent, seeing everyone around the fire eating breakfast. I rubbed my eyes and walked over, standing awkwardly next to Daryl since there were no spots left to sit. I gasped quietly when Daryl grabbed my hips, pulling me to sit on his lap, keeping an arm wrapped tightly around my waist. He handed me his plate of eggs, letting me have the rest. I slowly ate, savoring the flavor and feeling of Daryl's arms wrapped around me, knowing this sudden burst of affection wouldn't last long, much like every other time he's shown affection in front of the group. I looked around and spotted Luke, eating breakfast and laughing with Carl. I smiled. It was so good to see him happy.

Glenn got up from his seat and walked over closer to Dale. "Um, guys?" He said nervously, gaining our attention. "So...the barn's full of walkers." Silence. Everything went silent as we all looked at him in shock.

We all got up silently, running to the barn. We stood in front of it, unsure of what to do. The moans could be faintly heard. Shane walked up to the doors, peaking inside.

"Mama?" Luke's tiny hand latched onto mine. "What's happening?"

I pulled him to me. There's walkers in the barn." He gasped and buried his face in my stomach. I held tighter to him. "It's okay baby, I got you."

Shane turned around with a scoff, shaking his head. "You cannot tell me you're all right with this." He ran into Rick's shoulder, clearly mad.

Rick shook his head. "No, I'm not, but we are guests here. This isn't our land."

Shane turned back around, putting his hat on. "This is our lives!"

"Lower your voice." Glenn whispered.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea argued.

Shane shook his head angrily. "It ain't right. Not remotely. Okay, we either go in there, we got to make things right or we just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

"We can't go." Rick growls.

"Why, Rick? Why?" Shane asked.

I took a step forward, standing next to Carol. Luke still held tightly to my side. "Because Carol's daughter is still out there. We can't leave without her."

Shane breathed a laugh, rubbing his face. "Okay. Okay I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility." I glared at him angrily. Man, if looks could kill.

"We're not leaving Sophia behind." Rick said, making it clear that leaving wasn't Shane's decision to make.

Daryl came forward. "I'm close to finding this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago."

Shane laughed. "You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll."

Daryl walked even closer to Shane, swinging his arm. "Man, you don't even know what the hell you're talking about."

Rick stepped in front of Daryl. "I'm just saying what needs to be said. You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours!" Shane yelled.

Rick walked towards Shane. "Shane, stop."

Shane had no plans to stop. "Let me tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there and saw you coming all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears 'round your neck, she would run in the other direction!" I fought the urge to punch him.

Then everyone was shouting as Daryl and Shane tried to start a fight. I ran in front of Daryl, grabbing his arms. "Daryl, hey, look at me. Look at me. Calm down. Don't start something." I had my hands on his cheeks now, his chest heaving, glaring at Shane. Finally, he looked down at me, closing his eyes shortly before nodding. I stepped away, turning back around.