Chapter Seventy

Rob started the car as they got to it. Becky could tell he was angry. She couldn't blame him but she needed him to understand any input he had would influence Linc's behaviour and decisions. Becky wasn't sure if Rob realised what a change he had made in Linc's life or if he knew how much Linc looked up to him. She decided to wait until they got home and had some privacy before approaching him.

Michael met them at the door as they pulled up. "Rob. Tim rang. He wanted to know if you could go over to the fields early. They're short of umpires tonight and he wondered if you could fill in."

"Yeah. I can do that." Rob strode past his father without looking back at Becky or Linc.

She saw a puzzled look cross Michael's face but didn't say anything. Rob was angrier than she thought.

"Becky, Linc. Good swim?"

"Hello, Michael." Becky ducked around him.

Michael tilted his head at Linc as he dragged his bag up the stairs. "What's going on, mate?"

"Ah... they're having a kind of fight." Linc lifted the side of his mouth and jostled his shoulders. "It's about Dad. We gotta go home on Monday to have dinner with him. I don't want to but Becky says I gotta and she wouldn't let Rob talk."

"Right..." Michael nodded and patted him on the shoulder. "Not to worry. We better let them work that one out on their own."

"What's gonna happen, Michael? Do I gotta go live with him again?"

"I'm not sure, Linc. I'll have a chat with Children Services on Monday but Becky wants to have the dinner with your father. She's already spoken to Sheila and I about it. We're not going to interfere." He squatted down in front of Linc. "It'll all work out so don't you worry, okay? Sheila and I are going to be here for you. We'll help you through it, so don't upset yourself." Michael smiled. "Tonight's going to be a great game, and then tomorrow you juniors are going to slaughter that other team."

"You hope." Linc chuckled. "They might slaughter us."

"Yeah." Michael laughed. "They could do, but it'll still be a great game. Sheila and I can't wait to watch you play. Come on." Michael patted Linc on the back. "Let's get you out of those wet clothes and in the shower."

Becky headed up the stairs and down the hall. Rob had his door closed. She put her bag in her room, and then knocked on his. He didn't answer. Becky tried the knob but he had locked it. She knocked again. "Rob." Still no answer. Becky lifted her hand to knock once more as Rob opened the door. He was dressed in his hockey clothes and had his stick in his hand. "Rob. Can we talk?"

"No." He stepped into the corridor closing his door behind him.

Becky had to move backwards. "We need to talk."

"Yeah. I know. Later. I gotta go." Rob dashed away taking the stairs two at a time. He knew they needed to talk but felt too hurt and rejected to consider it at that moment. Rob had to get away from Becky so he could think things through clearly. He was so glad Tim had called. Becky obviously didn't feel about him as he felt about her. In his mind they were a couple and should be making decisions as a couple. His opinion regarding her life should mean something to her. Instead... she kept rebuffing him, making him feel ineffectual.

Becky was grateful Sheila and Michael had acted normal. She was sure Michael sensed the tension between her and Rob but hadn't pushed her. They pulled up in the car park and headed to the grandstand.

"I'm going to sit with Trin." Becky kissed Sheila on the cheek and smiled at Michael. "Is that okay?"

"Of course it's okay." Sheila beamed. "You'll probably go home with Rob so if we don't see you, have a good night."

"Thanks, Sheila."

"Oh." Sheila called over her shoulder. "Linc will come home with us so don't worry about him."

"Aw... do I have to?" Linc whined.

"Yes." Sheila laughed and patted his cheek. "Go and find some friends now and come back to us when the game's finished." She held her hand up in a wave and followed Michael.

"How's my girl?" Trin slid over so Becky could take a seat next to her. "How come you didn't come with Rob?"

"He had to come early and do some umpiring." Becky grinned. "Did you come with Scott?"

"Yes..." Trin beamed. "I certainly did."

"So..." Becky laughed. "How's it going? Having a real... boyfriend."

"It's... going great." Trin leaned in and gave Becky a squeeze. "He's wonderful. Hasn't tried it on me once, though I can tell he wants to."

"How can you tell?" Becky whispered and smiled.

"Oh... Becky. You know the answer to that." Trin shoved Becky on the shoulder, and then murmured. "It's always up." They both roared with laughter.

"Does that mean you haven't? You know." Becky cocked her head.

"Nope. I'm not going to rush into it. I've realised that waiting is more fun than jumping straight in and doing it." Trin jostled her shoulders. "It's so much more exciting." She faced Becky. "So what about you and Rob? Have you done it yet?"

"No." Becky looked across the field to where Rob was warming up with the team. "I'm not sure we ever will."

"What..? What's that supposed to mean?" Trin jerked her around so Becky was looking straight at her.

"We had a bit of a fight and he's really angry with me at the moment. I'm sure he was glad to come and umpire so he didn't have to be near me." Becky shrugged. "Maybe he'll dump me tonight. Who knows?"

"That's not going to happen. He likes you too much." Trin pinched Becky's cheek. "You'll work it out. You wait and see."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Can you Please, Please,  Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I'll love you for it ☺♥☺♥ 