Chapter Thirty-One

By Friday, they had hardly spoken to each other. Rob climbed out of the pool and helped Linc over the edge. "Good work, mate."

"I'm getting better aren't I?"

Rob nodded. "Yeah. You are. We have one more week until the first game. I'll probably only let you play for half, okay, because I don't want to ruin the progress we've made." He cocked his head. "You do understand that don't you, Linc? We're not over doing it."

"Yeah." Linc slunk his shoulders and sighed. "I get it."

"Good." Rob patted him on the back. "Let's get dried." They headed to the bench where Becky sat waiting. Rob grabbed his towel and rubbed it over his head. "Can you bring your swimmers next week?" Why shouldn't she be in the water helping. The ball game worked better with three.

"Okay." Becky glanced at him and nodded. He'd barely spoken to her all week, even though most maths lessons he'd let his leg rest against hers, and then fidget, pull it away for it only to lean on hers again. "Thanks, Rob." She gathered up Linc's stuff and lifted her bag. When she looked back at him, he just jerked his head at her.

Becky felt sick in the stomach. Maybe she'd been too harsh. Nevertheless, she thought she'd laid out the terms of the relationship clearly on Saturday at the pool. Rob had obviously misunderstood. She thought he'd get over it but the tension he transmitted in maths told her he hadn't.

The following week was much the same. Becky helped with Linc on Tuesday. The only time they spoke was Rob giving her instructions and Becky replying. Wednesday's maths lesson was the worst it had been. Rob didn't seem to be able to sit still.

At the end of the lesson, Rob packed up his books and stayed in his seat. He needed to ask Mr. Campbell to move him. He stood and watched Becky look back at him as she left the room.

"You want to talk to me, Rob?" Steve Campbell moved his books into a pile. He'd noticed Rob waiting.

"Yes, sir." Rob looked around to make sure the class was empty and stood at the teacher's desk. "I need you to move me, sir. I really don't want to sit next to Becky anymore."

Steve frowned and peered at Rob. "You seem to be getting on alright. What's going on?"

"I don't want to get into it, sir. I just need you to move me please or I'm going to fail this subject." Rob thought about the real reason he wanted to be moved and hoped he didn't have to go into it.

"I need a proper reason, Rob." Steve sat on his chair, leaned back, and looked hard at Rob.

"I can't concentrate, sir." Rob stuck the corner of his thumb into his mouth. Please don't make me say it. He watched Mr. Campbell lean forward on the desk and twist up his mouth.

"Rob. What's going on?"

Fuck. Rob dropped his hand and gritted his teeth. "It's personal."

"Are you and Becky still fighting?"

"No."

"So what's the bloody problem?" Steve shook his head. "It'll stay between you and me but I need a reason."

Rob let out his breath. "I keep getting an erection." He sucked in another breath and watched the look on Steve Campbell's face change from stern to shock. Then his eyes glittered. Rob shrugged. "You wanted to know, so... every lesson. Our legs touch and that's what happens. I can't concentrate. For the last week I haven't heard a word you've said." Rob grinned and shrugged again. "I really need you to move me."

Steve put his hand over his mouth and nodded. "Fuck... shit. Sorry. Teachers don't swear. You didn't hear that. Okay."

"Didn't hear a word." Rob chuckled and held up both of his hands. "As long as you didn't hear a word of what I've just told you."

"Cross my heart." Steve smirked and shook his head. "Sit next to Drew, but no talking. You got that." He chuckled. "Gotta say I like your honesty, Rob." Steve cocked his head in question. "Does she know?"

"Nope. And I'd like to keep it that way."

"Well. She certainly won't be finding out from me." Steve laughed again. "You better get to your next lesson."

Becky watched Rob hovering near Mr. Campbell's desk. She stood outside the door and listened.

"You want to talk to me, Rob?"

She waited for Rob to answer. Becky had a gut feeling it had something to do with her.

"Yes, sir." There was a pause. "I need you to move me, sir. I really don't want to sit next to Becky anymore."

Becky stormed off. Oh. She hated him and she could bet he was spinning some bullshit about her to Mr. Campbell. She sneered. Mr. Campbell was a tough teacher and she just hoped he'd tell Jerky Jarvis no. Serve the bastard right.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

How brave is Rob? I gotta say that boy has guts. ;)

Thank you all. Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I really appreciate your support. xoxo