Chapter Forty-Five

Thursday wasn't a good day either. The best they could do was give each other a quick look as they passed in the corridor or across the room in the classes they were in.

By lunchtime, Rob decided to take action. He planted himself on the bench near the exit door closest to the tree Becky usually sat under with her friends.

Becky saw him sitting with his elbows on his knees fiddling with his fingers. She sucked in a breath as he looked up. What to do? Trin was walking beside her. Did she make out she still hated him or let him make the moves. As they drew near, Rob stood up.

"Hi, Rob." Trin skipped forward and tickled his chin. "Can't talk. Gotta tuck into my sandwich. I'm so... hungry today." She darted through the exit before Becky had a chance to say anything.

Rob laughed as he watched Trin go. He looked back to see Becky's confused face. "Hello."

"Hello." Becky frowned. "What was that all about?"

"I'd say it's Trin's way of giving us some space." Rob chuckled again.

"Why would she do that? Normally she's all over you." Becky peered at him. "Did you say something to her?"

Before Rob had a chance to answer, Hunter Jones walked towards them. "What? Are you taking another number, Jarvis?"

Becky turned on him. "You shut your mouth, Hunter! That's not funny!"

"Yeah... well tell him to fuck off because I've got number one." Hunter wrapped his arm around Becky's shoulder, curled up his lip and stood with his hand on his hip.

"There are no fucking numbers, Hunter, so shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you." Seeing Hunter touch Becky infuriated Rob. He stepped forward.

Becky moved out from under Hunter's arm and stood between them. "This is bullshit." She put a hand on each of their chests. "No fighting."

"He's disrespecting you, Becky, and I won't let him do that." Rob took her by the wrist and pulled her behind him.

Becky pushed between them again. "I can take care of this myself. I don't need your help." She turned to Hunter and shoved him hard on the chest. "Fuck off, Hunter. You're being an arsehole!"

"Fuck you, Becky!" Hunter lifted his hand.

Rob grabbed his wrist. "Don't even think about it, Jones." He stepped forward and gave Hunter a jolt. "What sort of guy are you? You speak about someone like that and expect to get away with it, and then think you're gonna hit her because she stands up for herself. You're fucked. If you ever do it again it'll be me who deals with you and it won't be a push. I can promise you that. Now fuck off!"

Hunter lunged. "I wasn't gonna hit her!" He pushed Rob in the chest. "You fuck off. Becky's with me. We've been getting it on well before you ever came on the scene."

"Does she know that?" Rob regained his footing and stepped forward again. "If you really liked her there is no way you'd talk to her the way you do."

They butted chests. "She knows I like her. We've hooked up often enough for her to know it."

"So you talk about her like she's a whore and she likes that does she?" Rob advanced again causing Hunter to stumble backwards.

He righted himself, and then butted up against Rob in return. "It's only because you're trying to snake your way in. I'm defending what's mine."

"And that's how you do it? Treat her like shit?"

"Stop! Both of you stop!" Becky squeezed between them and pushed with all her might to get them apart.