Still Here

Tony and Rhodey remain seated on the grey floors of the new Avenger's compound when suddenly their silence is interrupted by an elderly FedEx man knocking on the window with a packet in his hand. "Are you Tony "Stank"?"

Rhodes bursts out in laughter, finally feeling some positive emotion since his accident. "Yes, this is- this is Tony "Stank". You're in the right place. Thank you for that!" Tony chuckles at the teasing, not offended in the slightest way because it's his best friend. The only one who never abandoned him.  "I'm never dropping that, by the way. Table for one, Mr. "Stank". Please, by the bathroom." Rhodey continues chuckling as he jokes away the pain.

Tony stayed with Rhodey for a few more minutes before going back into the office where every Avenger had a desk. He walks past his own cluttered desk and takes a seat at Steve's desk right across from Merly's.

Now that he's alone, he opens the package and finds an two envelopes and a phone inside.

Tony, I'm glad you're back at the compound. I don't like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family. The Avengers are yours, maybe more so than mine. I've been on my own since I was 18. I never really fit in anywhere, even in the army. My faith's in people, I guess. Individuals. And I'm happy to say that, for the most part, they haven't let me down. Which is why I can't let them down either.
Locks can be replaced, but maybe they shouldn't. I know I hurt you, Tony. I guess I thought by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but I can see now that I was really sparing myself, and I'm sorry.
Hopefully one day you can understand. I wish we agreed on the Accords, I really do. I know you're doing what you believe in, and that's all any of us can do. That's all any of us should...

As Tony reads through the letter FRIDAY informs him of an incoming call. "Priority call from Secretary Ross. There's been a breach at the Raft prison."

Tony smirks to himself knowing well exactly what has happened. " Yeah, put him through."

Ross is immediately put through. "Tony, we have a problem-"

Tony then remembers what he told him about watching the line blink. "Ah, please hold."

"No. Don't..." Ross warns before Tony cuts him off and leans back on his seat impressed at how quickly the others moved even with bullets in their backs.

He grabs Steve's letter and continues reading it.

So, no matter what. I promise you, if you need us, if you need me, I'll be there.

"Same old Captain Rogers." Tony sighs. He hesitates on reading the other letter that is probably from Merly, who else would write to him?

So Steve has probably given you a moral and righteous apologetic poem of a letter. I wouldn't know because he wouldn't let me see it. And don't expect something too fancy from me, there's a reason why nearly failed English class in high school.
I know you're probably tired of hearing "sorry" the word itself won't fix what has happened or what I've done to you. Sometimes I think about how different life could've been if Steve and I never got frozen. We would've seen you grow up, and we have. But sometimes I feel responsible for what Howard did to you.
I wish I could've been there for you.

I'm not the best person out there and I'm certainly no genius, but I just want you to know that there is no burden on you.
There should be no guilt to keep you awake at night because you've done nothing wrong. If it weren't for you then maybe there wouldn't be any heroes out saving the world.
But you gave them hope. I truly wish that we could've agreed on the Accords in someway.
But since the universe hates us so much, I did what I had to do to keep our family safe.