Chapter Two

Wow.

Wow.

Oh my- Wow.

Those were the words zipping through my mind right now as I stepped into what Ruth would call, 'Holy paradise'. I thought the mansion looked impressive on the exterior, but the interior? It was like.. Wow. The foyer was grand and everything was in black or white! White tiled floor with black carpets. White glass tables decorated with black vases filled with white roses. It could not be more obvious enough what the owner’s favorite colors were. And a large glass chandelier hung from the ceiling. There were two staircases leading up to the second floor and I could only imagine the amount of rooms in this place. How many people lived here?

Joe, the butler allowed my few seconds of gaping with a small smile tugged on his lips. He finally bothered to pull me out of my amazement, reminding me that my parents were waiting for me. I felt like telling him it was fine and he could go on alone. I would be happy just standing here all day but I know I had to face the music sooner or later. Or more like face the musician.Get it? Never mind. I was going crazy with nerves.

Joe led me to the first floor sitting room and as we neared it, I could hear the sound of my mother's laughter.Glad someone was happy. Joe actually announced my arrival to the room and I heard silence fell. I clenched both my fists and took a deep breath.I could do this. Joe gave me what I assumed was a reassuring smile as I took a step in.

My eyes scanned the room quickly, seeking familiar faces so it landed on my parents first who were sitting together on a black leather couch. Both of them had clearly cleaned up well for this meeting. My dad was in a shirt and that was rare. My mother looked beautiful in a simple black dress and with her hair tied up. I wondered why I never gotten her looks but I did get her height and large brown eyes. Both my parents had relieved expressions on their faces. Were they afraid I would have bailed on this? I could not deny I had plotted it many times but the thought of being the destroyer of Alan's future could crush me.

"Skye!" My mother called out, beaming. She stood up and walked towards me, pulling me into a hug. "Thank you Skye. I love you so much." She whispered in my ear, her voice sincere. I sighed but hugged her back.

My mother let me go and moved to stand beside me, looping her arm through mine. "Let's introduce you to Keith Gilbert." She said brightly. She led me closer to the sitting area. I felt a little safer with my mother nearby. I felt less like puking or bolting through the door like a crazy woman.

Keith Gilbert was a man who did not seem like he was in his sixties. When he stood up, I could see that he was fit, tall and intimidating in the black suit he wore and the straight posture he held. He had short black hair with greying tips and honestly, a handsome face with a straight nose and sharp jaw. His black eyes were like a hawk's and seemed sharp and intense. He seemed to have a no nonsense attitude and a strong aura. He resembled more like a mafia boss than a respectable businessman. When his eyes landed on my tiny form, he scanned me from head to toe and all the way back up again. If my mother was not holding on to me, I would have probably fainted from being scrutinize in such a manner. He must have seen something he liked, I hope, for he allowed his thin lips to curve into a smile but his gaze was still intense.

"Good evening, Mr. Gilbert." I opted to greet him first. Might as well since he was the man capable of taking away everything from my family. I extended my hand out and he smiled wider.

"Miss Winters." He took my hand, his handshake firm. "Please, call me Keith."

"You can just call me Skye too." I informed him before releasing his hand.

"Skye," He repeated my name. "You are just as beautiful as your mother." Beside me, I saw my mother grinned. "Please, have a seat." He gestured to the space beside my parents on the large couch. Good, he was suggesting I sit with my parents. Maybe it was because when his eyes flicked to mine, he could probably see the anxiousness and fear reflected in them.