How and Why Do I Fight?

Isla P.O.V

Tears pooled in my eyes as I threw my stuff into my backpack. Annabeth walked in right when I was about to walk out.

"You're leaving?"

"Yeah. I am."

"Just stay one more day. Please."

I huffed "Fine "

The truth was I was still going to leave. Right after dinner because, man am I hungry.

Suddenly, Annabeth asked,

"How do you fight?"

"I could fight with my fists, or I could fight with a weapon. And while I might not always choose to fight, when I do, I always win."

"Why do you fight?" she asked

"I don't fight to prove I'm badass, no matter what anyone thinks, I already know I'm badass. I fight because it's inside me."

"You know, Isla, you're a pretty passionate warrior. I know you're not from around here. I know you don't just go on quests and things. I know that you protect the world, not just one city. You're passionate and that's why you're doing it so well, Isla."

"Doing what well?"

"Protecting the world." 

After my talk with Annabeth, I plunked down at the Artemis table where I was all alone. Connor met my eyes once, and we both looked away, blushing furiously. 

I pushed my tray away, fed up with this. I went to the Hermes table

"Connor, can I talk to you?"

He frowned, 

"Um, OK.."

We walked toward the beach, we walked along the beach when I stopped and faced him. 

"Connor, I'm sorry, OK? That's the stupidest thing I could say, but I am. I have to leave soon, and long distance relationships never work."

"We could make it work" he tells me, his voice so low that it sends shivers down my spine. The moon is high and bright, throwing a silvery reflection onto the ocean.

"You can't tell yourself that Connor. You and I both know it won't"

"Isla-"

"No, Connor. Just no. I'm sorry. I really like you but I'm not even going to be on the same f****** planet as you!"

"Huh?"

I shook my head wildly

"I'm really sorry Connor. I really am"

And with that I ran. Justin was waiting for me at the crest of the hill. As we ran, I felt a tear run down my cheek when I thought about the life I could have had right here. Maybe in an alternate universe I would have stayed, maybe I would be dating Connor. But I'll never know because I have to go home. I have to go back to where I belong. I won't belong here and I never will. Ever.