The beauty of understanding

Peggy - WOO!! The beach! You know what I love about the beach Alex?
Alex - What?
Peggy - There's cute boys, cute girls, loads of ice cream, cold water, and no John Laurens to bother us!
Alex - Sounds like heaven to me!
Peggy - Ha!!!
Alex - What?
Peggy - I GOT YOU TO ADMIT IT!! YOU'RE BISEXUAL!! YOU'RE BISEXUAL!!
Alex - You didn't know that?
Peggy - Huh?
Eliza - Yeah, everyone knew Alex was bi.
Peggy - .........damn it

It felt so weird...seeing the world in color. I've learned to get used to some things. But I wish someone would've told me how beautiful the water was. How it was so blue during the day, and looked black as night when the moon rolled in. And when you held it in your hands, it was clear. It was a small thing, but it made me happy.

Eliza - You guys gonna come in the water or what?!
Angelica - I'm gonna stay on the sand for a few, I'll come in later.
Peggy - CMON ALEXANDER!! LETS GO!!
Alex - Coming!

I followed Eliza and Peggy into the water. I didn't exactly know how to swim, but that was okay. If my feet were able to touch the bottom, it would be fine. The more I walked, the deeper it got. I suddenly felt uncomfortable. I couldn't bail on Eliza and Peggy, they would think I'm a wimp. I would just ruin their fun. I was to far away from shore to yell to Angelica without embarrassing myself. Everyone would hear me. I looked out to Eliza and Peggy. Wide smiles painted their faces, Eliza looked back at me and nudged her head as to tell me 'Come on!'

I took one more step, and I fell. Images on the hurricane flashed in my mind. Screams filling the air around me. People drowning all around me. My screams for my mother that no one seemed to hear. The winds blew the trees and blew me further and further until I couldn't see what was what. I grabbed a piece of wood, balancing myself on it. Calling out for someone, anyone. I knew I was going to die, so why didn't I? I thought that was going to be the end of me, so is it my time now? Is this the end? What a stupid way to go.

That's what I thought, until I felt two arms wrap around my waist.

John POV

John - Why are we here again?
Lafayette - Well I mean, I figured a trip to the beach would get your mind off things.
Hercules - Yeah, and they have banana slushie so that's good.
Aaron - Ew.
Hercules - What do you mean, ew?!
Aaron - Bananas are good. But banana popsicles, pudding, candy. That stuff's just wrong. Like pineapple on pizza or socks with sandles.
Hercules - Says the guy wearing crocks.
Aaron - Whatever.
Lafayette - Could you guys pause your little war for a second and help us find a spot?
Hercules - Close to the snack bar but not so close to where the people at the snack bar can hear what we're saying.
John - Sounds good.

Lafayette set our towels down and threw our basket of 'equipment' on the ground.

Hercules - MY RUBBER DUCKY!!
Burr - GIVE ME MY BUMBLEBEE!!!
John - I WANT MY TURTLE!!
Hercules - HERES YOUR TURTLE!!!

Hercules grabbed my rubber turtle and threw it into the water. I watched as his smiling face landed flew through the air and landed with a plop. I had kept my eyes on him when he landed, I was not gonna let Professor Turtleton get taken today!

John - WHAT THE FUCK HERCULES!!!
Lafayette - Nice going Hercules! You know how much he loves his turtle!
Hercules - Sorry, I just really wanted to find my ducky!

I threw my shirt off and threw it onto Hercules face. I went off running down the sandy beach. The sand felt hot in my bare feet, but I didn't care. Every second Professor Turtleton was moving farther into the water. Every second he was getting further away from me. I canon balled into the water with a giant splash. I stuck my head out from the water and looked around, trying to find a trace of my turtle.