Fourteen

Danica

“I’m going to call you when I get back ok?” He said as he wrapped his arms around my waist bringing me into him with sad written eyes. He didn’t want me to go home in the state I was in, I hadn’t been talking much and it’s been at least three days since I ran into… Them. God, just thinking about it made me cringe. I nod in Chris direction sad that he had to go and that I had to go home, but Chris had a family emergency to tend to and I couldn’t come in between that. In Chris eyes family was very important and who was I to hold him up? “I’m going to miss you.” He mentions as he kisses my forehead. 

I smile weakly, “I’m going to miss you too.” I wrap my arms around him hugging him tightly, dreading going into my shared apartment. He hugs me back and whispers to me quietly how things are going to be ok and when he gets back we’ll spend more time together. When we part ways he looks at me one more time before getting in his car and pulling off. I sigh still standing outside as if I was a zombie and had no clue what to do. 

I didn’t want to go inside; I couldn’t deal with Gabriel right now. Not in the state I was in, I was still trying to process seeing Trey and Kinah together a few days ago. I don’t know why but I’m still in shock, I even think I dreamt it. I don’t understand how I can still be surprised about this… Because it was real, very real. Trey still looked the same after all these years, grew a little facial hair and ditched the braids for a low hair cut. All and all he looked good… And happy to see me, which was crazy because I vaguely remember him being rude to me up until we graduated. Now suddenly he’s smiling and looking surprise… What was that about? I wondered briefly but couldn’t find a thing that connected one to the other. My mind drifted off to Shekinah, that conniving bitch. She was still perfect as ever, hair flawless, face worry less. Perfection at best. God I wish I could tear her limb from limb. 

She had the nerves to play “friendly” in front of Chris like she never, hurt me, destroyed me, and released a video of me having sex. Yeah, she and I are definitely cool. I snorted at the thought as I made my way up the stairs to my apartment door. I didn’t know how to interpret Shekinah’s actions that night, but I’m going to assume the worst, because when has she ever been good?

I search my purse for my keys, “damn it, where did I put them?” I continue my search making a mental note to clean out my purse when the door flies open. “Oh look who decided to finally show there face.” Oh god no. I didn’t even have to look up to know who was at the door. Still looking down in my purse I prayed that this was a dream, or at least I was hallucinating. I look up and all my dreams of being in a dream are shattered.

My mom is really here. 

I sigh and slump past her, already knowing this was not going to go well. Nothing between us ever goes well. “What are you doing here?” I ask dryly as I go to sit on the couch. She stands in front of me and watches me as I take my shoes off. I yawn a little tired from not really sleeping last night. I look up at her; her arms are folded across her chest. “Oh just came to see who my daughter has been hopping into bed with.” She says nonchalantly, but judgment is all in her eyes. I blink at her not sure I heard her right. I lean forward resting my arms on my thighs squinting at her. “Are you serious right now?” My voice is hard and sounds nothing like my usual self. I cannot believe she is here, nor can I believe she’s saying this. She looks me over and then raises her eyebrow, “your hips are spreading, you must be having sex with this ‘Chris’ boy.” She shakes her head in disgust. My eyes widen. How did she know his name? 

“How do you know his name?” I eye her suspiciously. She chuckled and shakes her head, her hand goes up and she extends her thumb to the hall behind her pointing it in the direction of Gabriel’s room. That bastard… My mouth is agape as realization sets in and I begin to figure out what’s going on. Gabe called my mother. He called my god awful mother. And for what? Because he caught me going out with Chris? Gabriel has hit a new low. I chuckle darkly as I too shake my head. “So what’s this about?” I ask skipping to her point in being here. My mother never shows up here unless there is something very important, so her being here now was completely suspicious. I run my fingers through my wild hair awaiting her answer.