Seven

Danica

The next morning Chris dropped me off home with promises to call me after he got off work. I have to say my two off days have been something far beyond marvelous, being that I spent them wrapped up in temptation himself. Today would be different though, I was going home and I had to work. 

The inside of my apartment was fairly warm indicating that he was home and the Christmas tree was lit from top to bottom. Gabriel must have finally put the tree up while I was gone. 

Trying to tiptoe through the living room to my room was looking good until Gabriel came out the kitchen spotting me. Now don’t get me wrong, Gabriel is like a brother to me, but lately he’s been taking his brotherly role too far. He still badgers me about the mystery car trying figure out what’s going on with me. After the whole scenario where he thought I was on drugs I didn’t really feel like talking to him as much. How could he even manage to think of me like that? The thought was beyond me.

Gabriel stood before me in a sweater and loose jeans. For a moment he looked happy to see me, then that turned into worry. Instead of saying what I knew was surely to come, he wrapped me up in a tight hug pulling me close. I could hardly breathe with the grip he had on me. “Gabe, you’re cutting off my air circulation.” I managed to say, but he didn’t let go. He only loosened his grip still holding onto me for life itself. “Where have you been Danica? I almost called your mom, I was so worried.” My eyes widened at the mention of my mother. Dear god had he called her, the whole world would have known I was missing. I cringed at the thought, although sometimes my mother can be viewed as self centered, she still manages to find some space in her heart to care about me.

“I’m here now, calm down.” I said as I slipped out of his grip. This hug was getting uncomfortable. He shook his head as if nothing I said mattered. “Where have you been?” He asked. His eyes were concern written and he still had that sense of worry about him. I shrugged not really wanting to tell him where I had been. Tell him what? That I disappeared for two days to have sex with a man you’ve never seen or heard about? Yeah, because that is the smartest thing to do. “It’s nothing to worry about, just know I’m here now.” 

I walked pass him not saying another word going into the kitchen, Gabriel was hot on my trail following me foot for foot. While I went into the fridge grabbing my eggnog (yes I drink eggnog around Christmas how cliché of me), I poured a nice tall glass of it. As I sipped on my sweet once a year drug I watched as Gabriel glared at me. His eyes never leaving mine for even a moment. “Danica, you were gone for two days, where have you been?” He questioned again. This time I rolled my eyes. He was going to keep pushing it wasn’t he? I sipped my drink sighing, “Does it matter? I’m here now.”

A sigh of frustration entered the air on his behalf. He ran his fingers through his hair finally growing tired of questioning me. The fact that he was giving up made me happy, but I knew this wouldn’t last for long. He would start back next time I go to see Chris. “You know I’m not trying to annoy you, I just… You were gone for two days Danica; I really thought something had happened to you. I know you don’t want to tell me, but you can’t worry me like that.” He says before exiting the kitchen and then I hear his door shut down the hall. Suddenly I feel bad for worrying him like that. For treating him like that. Gabriel was just concerned about my safety and I had shut him out. What a terrible roommate you are Danica.

A frown dances across my face, poor Gabe.

-

I slump into work still feeling guilty for how I acted with Gabriel, but had to pull myself out immediately when Terrence approached. As always he looked very much sophisticated and flamboyant. He wears bright Easter colors although it is the Christmas season. He looks totally frustrated as he always is around the holidays. He looks like he is going to deliver a baby.