Chapter 10

Alex

My heart broke for Megan today at the Courthouse. The media frenzy that Mr. McKay had created was insanity. Then, hearing the Judge rule in favor of the McKays. It was unthinkable for them to have supervised visits with Liliana. Even though it was provided the child psychologist, deemed it okay.

I have the feeling that the visitations will be approved and I knew that Megan, did too. That is why she lashed out at me in the SUV when we were leaving the Court House.

She looked so broken, and like a former shell of herself.

Flashback. . .

I got in the SUV. Megan started screaming and pointing her finger at me, "YOU. . . YOU promised me everything would be alright. YOU wouldn't let them take her away. YOU LIED. . ." She was in such pain. I felt helpless, that I couldn't stop the situation. I wanted to fix everything for her.

"I did not lie to you. Do you think I don't hurt over this? She isn't my daughter, so I don't feel what you feel. I will tell you, that I love that little girl, just like I love you. I love both of you, Megan," I could barely speak above a whisper, as my eyes were filled with tears. I leaned over and pulled her to me and we both cried, together.

"Alex, I know you and your family are doing everything in your power to help me keep Liliana. I can't thank you enough. I love you too and I know Liliana loves her, Mr. Alex. I didn't dare let myself dream, that you could love us back in return." She placed a surprise soft kiss on my lips. My kiss back, held a promise. I wanted a future for the three of us, together.

I can't believe I told Megan, that I love her and Liliana. I said it out loud for the first time. I wanted her to know that this was hurting me too.

I can't believe that Megan said she loves me.

End of Flashback. . .

Everyone arrived at my mother's house at the same time. The mood was very somber, as we all got out of the SUV's.

"Liliana, has to meet with the child psychologist tomorrow morning. She needs to be evaluated. The visitation needs to be scheduled as quickly, as possible. The Judge informed me." Brandon related to us.

"Okay." Megan, threw her hands up in the air, shaking her head.

"Just so you know, I argued after you guys left the Judges Chambers for no visitation. The Judge said, we'll let the Psychologist decide." Brandon embraced Megan, as she broke down in tears, again. Who could blame her?

We all walked inside and were greeted by bouncing black curls, with big brown eyes. Now there were two front teeth missing and giggles.

"Look everybody, my udder front toof just came out." Liliana looked so adorable. Now, it would be even harder to break the news to her.

"Mr. Alex, now I'm really snaggletoof." She thought that was hysterical, with her new pronunciation of words.

I picked her up and made a big deal about her tooth coming out. I knew Megan wasn't herself at the moment, and I didn't want Liliana to notice. Avalon, Chance, and Brandon all joined in the fun. My mother went and comforted Megan, which spoke volumes.

We all sat down to dinner and Megan didn't touch her food. She and I agreed we would talk to Liliana after dinner, upstairs in her room. We all made small talk and did our best to keep up the facade of normality.

"I think it's time we start getting you ready for bed, love bug. Mr. Alex is going to read two bedtime stories, tonight."  Megan sounded more like herself and I was glad.

"Yay, two stories." Liliana clapped her hands. "Grandma Corwin, you should hear the way Mr. Alex reads with his deep voice." She was fascinated, with the way I read a book. I loved it.

"Well, you enjoy my sweet girl. Grandma, will see you in the morning. Sweet dreams,"  I never hear my mother holding back tears. Her voice was breaking. She has gotten so attached to Liliana.

Everyone said goodnight and gave her hugs. Megan and I held hands, as we walked up the stairs behind a skipping Liliana. It wasn't easy knowing what we had to do. It was the inevitable.

I stood and Megan sitting on Liliana's bed began. "Tomorrow, love bug, Mommy and Mr. Alex are going to take you to meet a nice lady. She is going to ask you some questions. I don't know what the questions are, but you say what answer comes to your mind, okay?"

"Okay, Mommy. Does this have to do with that mean scary man, that said he was going to take me away from you? I remember him, Mommy. Then, Mr. Alex brought us to Grandma Corwin's house."  Liliana, understood more than we knew. She never spoke about it to us, but she didn't forget, John McKay.

"That man, is your father. And he just wants see you. You lived with him when you were a baby, and then you came to live with me. You may see him a few times and get to know him. Would that be okay?" I was surprised Megan spoke frankly and held herself together. I was proud of her.

I sat down on the other side of the bed. "We'll make sure that you are safe and you won't be alone with that mean man. Your mom and I will always protect you." I wanted to reassure her of that fact.

"Alright, if I have to. Please, make sure he doesn't hurt me or Mommy, Mr. Alex. He scares me."  She looked up at me, like I was Superman. I gave her a big hug. "I promise to keep you safe, always. Now, let's read those two stories."

Megan looked at me and mouthed, "Thank you."

We read two bedtime stories and Liliana was her normal, sweet little self. Megan tucked her in, we gave her kisses, and said goodnight. We made it through and it was better than we imagined it would be. 

"Do you want to sit outside on the back deck, it's still nice out?" I knew she needed some fresh air.

"That sounds lovely and a glass of wine wouldn't hurt." She flashed me a grin,and laughter showed in her eyes.

"Coming right up, my lady." I went into the kitchen, grabbed two wine glasses, and a bottle of wine. We sat on the deck steps, watching the setting sun. We were finally able to let go of the breath, that we had been holding all evening.

"Liliana, surprised me with her courage and understanding of this situation." Megan put her wine glass down on the deck and looped her arm through mine, as she snuggled next to me.

"She astonished me, with her demeanor and question about the mean scary man. You can't get over on her. She has been a real trooper, throughout this whole ordeal." I took my last sip of wine, set my wine glass down, and leaned my head against Meagan's.

"I love you Megan Kennedy and I will to do everything in my power to protect our precious little girl." I caught her off guard with that statement, and she slowly turned to face me. She searched my eyes with hers, as they glistened in the moonlight from her tears.

"I never thought of anyone loving my daughter, as much as I do. Then, to have you love me, is beyond what I was looking for in my life. I can't put into words how you have affected, me and Liliana. I love you, Alexander Corwin." Her green eyes sparkled with a passion, that I had never seen before. Then, she reached up, placing a soft lingering kiss on my lips. We sat on the deck. I just held her tightly in my arms, and never wanted to let go.

~Don't Forget to Vote/Comment~❤️