Chapter 8

Megan

Alex and I sat outside for a long time after the sun had set. That kiss sent tingles throughout my entire body, and stole by breath away. We sat and heard the crickets, creating their own masterful symphony and watched the fireflies flitting about.

"When we were little kids, my brothers and I would catch fireflies and put them in a jar. Then we would set them free, back into the midnight sky. That was so much fun." Alex fondly remembered.

"I didn't get to have as much fun of a childhood as you. I went from foster home to home, and was hoping to be reunited with my family. But, that never happened." I spoke guardedly, I still had a hard time talking about my life growing up.

"It hurts me to hear that you experienced all of that growing up. That's why you are such a strong woman, and I admire that about you. I take my happy childhood for granted." Alex kissed my forehead.

He pointed out the stars in the sky, and he was looking for the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper. He, his brothers, and their dad were into star gazing, when they were younger. They had a telescope and everything. We sat under a magnificent star filled sky, just enjoying being together.

I've never enjoyed any man's company like I did, Alex. I was falling deeply in love with him.

I still can't believe what happened today.

Flashback. . .

I was sitting in Alex's office, when I received an alert on my phone. I walked into the conference room. "I saw John's news conference. What are we going to do, now?" I spoke aloud, with a pounding headache.

"Megan, Did you eat or drink anyt—" Alex was interrupted by Brandon, being interviewed outside of the Corwin Development Corporation offices.

"My client, Miss Kennedy, has no comment at this time. . . . However, I will say that she adopted Liliana Kennedy, as an infant, five years ago. She was not aware of any legal issues. This matter is being handled through the judicial system. We have followed all of the proper legal procedures, and filed the appropriate paperwork, to resolve this matter. No further comment." Brandon, stepped away from the podium in silence.

He walked up to the conference room. His brothers were proud of how he handled the situation with no prior notice. "Great job, especially, last minute. Thank you for handling everything. You handled it like a pro." Alex clapped Brandon, on his back.

"You were very poised, under all of that stress of an unannounced Press Conference." Chance spoke.

"I hope you're up to this fight, Megan." Brandon, turned his attention to me.

"I'm up to any fight that involves my daughter. I will not let that man waltz in, and take her from me. I grew up in the Foster Care System. I went from home to home. That's why I adopted, Liliana. I didn't want her to go from home to home. I loved her, instantly." I revealed for the first time. Everyone was at a loss for words.

Once the media circus died down, we all slipped out of the back entrance to the office building. We all decided to hunker down at Mrs. Corwin's house to fight this battle, and win. Chance and Avalon packed their clothes. Brandon, went to his apartment to pack. Alex drove me straight to his mother's house, to spend time with Liliana. I needed to see my little girl, after today's events.

We walked in the door to, "Mommy and Mr. Alex, I missed you. You were gone a long time today. Grandma Corwin, took me shopping and brought me clothes and more toys. We played, colored, and I drew you a picture."

I couldn't hold my tears back any more. Alex held onto me, so that I didn't collapse.

"What's wrong with mommy, Mr. Alex?" Liliana looked up at him, with such expression in her adorable eyes, that he had to clear his throat a few times.

"Mommy, is so happy to see you. Sometimes grownups cry when they're happy, and your mommy is very happy to see you." I'm not she believed him. She was hesitant.

She ran, and got the picture that she drew. Mrs. Corwin, knew exactly what happened today, in detail. She gave me and Alex a hug.

Liliana, came back with her drawing. It was a picture with me, her, Mr. Alex, Grandma Corwin, and a dog. She added her new grandma, this time. We all laughed because she still added a doggy.

Avalon, Chance, and Brandon all arrived with their suitcases. Mrs. Corwin was overjoyed to have her whole family staying for the summer. She had everyone's things taken to their rooms, and we all sat down to a delicious family dinner. We tried to just enjoy the meal, but I couldn't help thinking about today's development.

She loved telling me and Avalon about the mischief, that her three sons would get into when they were little. Liliana couldn't get over the fact, that they were actually little at one time, looking at them now.

I went to put Liliana to bed and Alex, joined us. He asked if he could read her the bedtime story she had picked. I was stunned and so happy that he had asked.

Liliana, sat up in her bed, with wrapt attention. "Mr. Alex, I like when you read stories, you have a deep voice." She covered her mouth, and giggled.

Alex and I kissed Liliana goodnight and left her room. "If we hurry, we can catch the sunset. I love that its the end of June, and it's still light out." He grabbed my hand and we headed for the back deck.

We sat side by side on the deck steps and I leaned against him for strength, after processing what had gone on earlier today. We watched the brilliant shades of red, yellow, and orange envelope the sky as the sun set. Alex held both sides of my face, and gave me a soft lingering kiss on my lips. I was mesmerized by his magnetic presence.

End of Flashback. . .

I lay in bed now, wondering what tomorrow will bring. I just know, that I can't lose my baby girl. I cannot let her live with John McKay. I would fade into oblivion and never be myself again.

We have to figure out a way to end this nonsense once and for all. And for Liliana to be my daughter, always. I would also love to figure out a way for Alex, to be ours forever and always. I know now, that I'm not falling in love with him. I absolutely love him.

                                ~Don't Forget To Vote/Comment~❤️