Chapter 10

After Blue Eyes had gone to sleep, Caesar had stayed up late talking over Maurice's new adventures and his new human friend with Cornelia. Nothing definite had been decided, but they both did want to do something to help this lone human female. If Maurice was this concerned, and according to Cornelia so very attached to the woman, Caesar felt they could do nothing less. After all, her dried foods had been a big help especially when the winter was so hard it was difficult for even Apes to hunt and forage. She had made the winters much more comfortable for them. What could they do to make life more comfortable for her in return?

How could they help her without frightening her? That was the big question that neither Caesar or his wife had an answer too just yet. The other looming question was how to tell the village about her, they had not even discussed yet.

He fell asleep mulling all this over in his mind.

"Caesar!!!"

The Ape Leader turned a little restlessly in his sleep. Why was Caroline calling for him? He was certain he'd picked up all his puzzles from the living room floor and put them away. Well, he was almost sure.

"Caesar!"

She was not just calling for him, she was screaming for him. What was wrong? Was Charles hurt?

"... Maurice is ... Cae-sar!!!"

"Yes, Caroline. I am coming," he muttered.

Wait! Why is Caroline talking about Maurice? She doesn't know him? Caesar wondered even in his dream state.

Grumbling a little, the Ape Leader started to rouse himself, but the short alarm bark from outside brought him fully awake and out of bed in an instant

"Luca," he gasped.

Glancing over, he saw that Cornelia was already awake, and restraining an anxious blue Eyes, who obviously wanted to run out and see what was wrong.

"No!" Caesar signed to his young son.

"You both stay here," he signed to his worried wife.

As he vaulted from his home, he almost crashed straight in to Koba. Koba's young daughter was behind her Father, her eyes wide.

"Luca caught humans!" Koba snarled.

"Go to Cornelia and stay with her," Caesar told Mary, speaking out loud.

The little Ape girl moved to obey Caesar without a word of complaint.

"Koba, stay here. Guard family!" he commanded his top hunter and Warrior.

Then he headed at a dead run to the outer walls. Rocket was immediately at his side.

"Caesar, I can't find Maurice? He isn't in his home," Rocket signed, nearly frantic with worry.

But this did not concern Caesar. He knew Maurice would not be home. And, now, as he came nearer and saw what looked to be Luca holding a ragdoll in one arm, a ragdoll that struggled weakly, Caesar thought he knew who had been screaming for him. What he did not know yet was why?

A/N:

Thanks to everyone who is following me and/or reading this story. Please leave comments or votes if the mood strikes you.