Chapter 23

Several days later, Karin dragged one more heavy wagon load of hay back from one of the farthest fields to store in the old barn. It was a slow and tedious process for her, what with needing to stop often to catch her breath. As she leaned heavily on the wagon on one of many rest breaks, the woman heard an unmistakable rustling sound coming from the distant trees. The reaction was automatic. She dropped the handle of the wagon and bolted like a frightened rabbit for the safety of her solid stone house. But once in her front yard, she came to a screeching halt, her eyes wide. Two very familiar visitors stood in her door yard; it was none other than the ape royal couple themselves, Caesar and Cornelia.

Karin gasped. "Oh my God! Was that you two? You folks scared me half to death!" And she slumped against one of the many fence posts that Luca had straightened, panting, but flushed with relief as well.

Cornelia touched her husband's arm and hoot panted an sign something to him. Karin did not understand the sign, but the meaning of the Ape Queen's expression was without doubt. I told you so, Cornelia was telling her husband. She came forward and warmly embraced Karin without hesitation, and the woman returned her embrace.

"It's good to see you both, Cornelia."

When she and Cornelia broke apart, Karin turned to Caesar and held out one hand which the ape king shook gently. "How are you doing, Caesar."

"We are. All well."

"Maurice and Mary too?" Karin asked, a frown coming over her face. The big orangutan had been perfectly fine eight or nine hours ago when he left her that morning, but what if he had had an accident on the way home? Or, what if darling little Mary was sick or hurt? Was that why both Caesar and Cornelia were here?

Caesar put her fears to rest. "Maurice and Mary, too. He has school. Mary helps him," Karin let out the breath she was unconsciously holding. "Oh, thank God. Well, if those two aren't sick or hurt, I'm even more happy to see you both. But no gorilla guards? I bet poor Luca is having a fit about that."

Both apes nodded in agreement.

"That poor gorilla. So, to what do I owe this honor of your visit, Your Majesties," she asked them in a grand manner, even dropping them a little curtsy.

Cornelia hoot panted again. It sounded suspiciously to Karin like the ape's version of a giggle. Caesar gave his wife a stern look that she totally ignored.

"We come. To look. At fields," Cornelia said in her halting gruff speech.

"Yes. Need to judge. How much help you need. How much food to bring back there is," Caesar finished.

"Oh, well, sure thing," Karin agreed. Pulling a large stainless steel flask from her back pocket, she took a long refreshing drink of water. She offered it to both apes, but they shook their heads, so she put it back into her pocket. "Maurice didn't tell me you guys were coming, though."

"Maurice didn't know," Caesar said.

"Well, come on. I'll give you two the grand tour. And there is a lot of stuff, way more than I thought. Not just stuff for THE apes to eat either. I forgot all about our hay fields. That will be good for your horses to eat through the winter."

With Karin leading the way, it took more than three hours before the great tour was done, and the trio were back in Karin's front yard. They were all hot and tired, but also very satisfied. Cornelia was practically ecstatic, virtually crowing with delight, and the sometimes grim and business-like Ape King wore a huge smile of pleasure on his simian face. The apes had discovered even more than Karin did, being able to climb and forage and look in places the human woman could not reach.