Chapter 18

Shortly after Karin had left with Luca and Tinker, Maurice stretched and sat down carefully on the edge of the healing nest. It was a relief that Sparrow let him get up and walk around a little bit. It killed time, if nothing else, while he waited anxiously for Karin and the others to return. But as thrilled as he was to be up and about, even briefly, the big orangutan was seriously considering feigning worse injury. No, not to keep Karin in the village longer, though he was considering that option as well, but to shorten this upcoming unpleasant meeting.

Gray's wife, Cedar, was not one of the most popular females, and for good reason. She even tried Maurice's seemingly inexhaustible store of patience, but she was nothing if not punctual. She arrived and was let in to the healing hut, and immediately rushed to Maurice's side, her eyes brimming with supposed concern.

"Teacher! How are you feeling?" the chimpanzee simpered. "You're up! This is wonderful! How may I help?" Cedar continued to gush.

Maurice ignored her first question about his health. "What You may do is sit, Cedar," Maurice told her bluntly. He had no tolerance for her act today.

Taken somewhat aback by his brisk tone, Cedar sat down and fell uncharacteristically silent.

"I know that your husband and Cornelia have spoken to you about your behavior towards Mary," Maurice signed seriously.

Cedar stiffened, looking indignant.

"If that human has been telling lies about me," her hands flashed before she could stop herself.

The deep rumble and a stern glare Maurice aimed at her froze Cedar's hands in place for a few seconds before she let them fall limply in to her lap.

"Her name is Karin," the orangutan said quietly to a now wide-eyed Cedar. Hardly anyone ever heard Maurice speak out loud, and this put more than a gentle emphasis on his every word. "She has nothing to do with this, Cedar. You have been warned twice. I am giving You the last warning. Stay away from Koba's daughter."

"But Maurice, I did not hurt that child," Cedar complained bitterly, her face taking on a petulant look. "I saw her and that, uh, and that Karin in your home, so I thought I would help and—"

"It is my business who I have in my home," Maurice signed to her. ". And I did not bring you hear to argue the issue. This is your final warning. Stay away from Koba's daughter, or next time—"

"Or next time," Cornelia put in, rising from behind the pile of supplies where she had concealed herself to watch and wait. "I will take my own measures."

Cedar gave a start of surprise. She turned towards her Queen and gave Cornelia an impudent stare. Taking a careful deep breath, Maurice had to remind himself sternly not to step in here. Cornelia was no longer the frightened little newly arrived chimp he used to have to occasionally defend at San Bruno. She could fend for herself long before she became Caesar's wife and their queen, long before their 'awakening', and she would not appreciate his interference. But old habits die hard, and it was a near thing, and so hard for him to resist his second nature.

"You would actually run to Caesar about this?" Cedar shot back incredulously.

Moving smoothly to stand before the impudent female, Cornelia gave the female chimp her sweetest smile.

"No," she signed softly but her eyes held Cedar's with a steely gaze. "Of course, I will not bother either my husband or yours, Cedar ... Next time, I will go straight to Mary's Father."

Cedar gasped and jerked back, her eyes going wide and obviously frightened.

"You wouldn't!" she exclaimed, turning instinctively to Maurice for help.