Chapter 25

The next day, Caesar told both Karin and Maurice off for nearly causing a village-wide panic and rescue attempt. As a result, for the rest of that day Karin gave the big chimp a wide berth, and plenty of time to cool off. The ape king did not seem to hold a grudge though, and later that night, the restless Karin found herself walking the perimeter of the village in the company of an equally sleepless Caesar yet again. It was becoming a semi-regular event for the two of them, and even the gorilla guards did not remark it anymore. Karin only prayed this walk would not be as traumatic as the last one.

"I guess you're still mad at us, aren't you?"

The Ape King grunted.

"I'll take that as a yes," Karin sighed. "You have every right to be mad."

"Is that. Why you have. Avoided me all day?" Caesar inquired.

"I have not!" Karin protested. Then, catching Caesar's eye, she laughed. "Okay, I'm busted. I thought I'd give you some time to cool off." She started to explain what that meant, but Caesar nodded knowingly.

"Look, Caesar," Karin hastened to say. "Please don't be mad at Maurice. It's all my fault, you know."

The woman watched, her brows furrowed, as Caesar began to chuff laughter. "Maurice says, don't be mad at Karin. He says it's his fault," the chimp informed her.

Karin shook her head. "Well, he's wrong. I'm the one who said let's just sit down here and rest a second. We wouldn't have fallen asleep if not for me."

"Maurice says he chase you too much, and too hard," Caesar commented dryly, but there was a little mischievous gleam in his eyes.

"He said what?" Karin drew in a sharp breath, her cheeks turning warm. "We were just ... just--" she stammered, but Caesar held up one hand, fast, to cut her off. She was astounded, even after all Cornelia had told her, to see the big chimp blushing.

"Don't need to know the rest," he grunted. "Not my business."

"But there's nothing to know, Caesar," Karin insisted. "We were just fooling around, that's all."

"I see." Caesar grinned openly, and Karin blushed. Apparently, the ape king knew a bit more human slang than Maurice did. She would have to remember that.

"I didn't mean ... I only meant that we were--" She broke off. "Oh, forget it.

'Okay," Caesar agreed quickly enough, but Karin still saw the spark of a grin lurking on his face for a few seconds before he sobered noticeably, and the two walked for a few moments in companionable silence.

Listen, did I ever thank you guys for all the help at home?" Karin offered, anything to change the subject.

"Only a few hundred times," Caesar answered with a slight smile.

"Well, make it a few hundred and one, then," Karin chuckled.

"I should thank you," Caesar replied. "All apes here should. Our food stores have never been so full in winter. I'm sure none will starve this time."

"Starve?" Karin's eyes widened. "You mean you had apes die of starvation before?"

Caesar nodded' his expression mournful. "The very old and the very weak," he told her.

Karin pressed one hand to her mouth and shivered. The thought horrified her so much that it took a few moments before she could speak around the lump in her throat and the tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Caesar. I should have brought more packages."

The ape king shook his head and patted her arm very gently. "Less death since you left us your packages. You did what you could. You endangered yourself enough. You had your own youngling to care for," Caesar disagreed, but Karin was not much comforted by his words.