Chapter Sixty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry." Michael smiled. "Your mother and I will sort it. You need to let us take over, Rob. This isn't your responsibility."

"Yeah. It kinda is. Becky's my girlfriend. I wish she'd rung me. I don't understand why she didn't. I gave her my old mobile so she could. Fuck..." Rob ran his hand down his face. "He could have killed her."

"I think you need to go to bed." Sheila patted her son's hand. "We'll get Becky home tomorrow, and then you can talk to her. No point worrying about it all now. You're tired."

Rob nodded. "Will he be charged, Dad? For assault. For what he did to Becky."

"We'll see. He's a sick man. It looks like he tried to kill himself so they have him on suicide watch. They might say he's unfit to be tried and Becky could say she fell down the stairs like you said she's done before." Michael shrugged. "I can't charge a man for wrecking his own house." He stood up and patted Rob on the back. "You did good, son. I'm proud of you. We both are." Michael grinned and jerked his head toward the stairs. "That kid thinks the world of you." He patted Rob again. "Go to bed. We'll talk some more in the morning."

Rob was up early making his breakfast when his father came down. "Why aren't you still in bed?"

"I want to go to Becky's house and get some clothes for them before Linc wakes up." He carried his bowl to the table and scooped up a spoonful of cereal.

"I'll have to come with you. The house has been cordoned off." Michael clicked on the kettle, leaned against the bench, and folded his arms. "It's a good thing you're going. I don't want the kids to see it so soon. Once we work out what's going to happen with their father we'll go over there and try to get the place in order." The kettle whistled. Michael made himself a cup of tea and sat. "So you really like this girl?"

"Yep." Rob chewed, and then swallowed. "Really like her. She thinks when she turns eighteen she'll be able to get custody of Linc. Is that possible?"

"Mm... she'd have to prove she can provide for him, so have a job and a place to live." Michael shrugged. "I think it'll be harder than she thinks."

"I thought that too." Rob put down his spoon and leaned back. "She's really smart. I want her to go to Uni with me or at least in the same city depending what she wants to do but she thinks she's just gonna pack up Linc and move to Brisbane, get a job and they'll live happily ever after. It'd be such a waste if she doesn't do something with her brains."

"I agree." Michael took a sip of his tea, and then put his cup down. "Your mother and I had a chat last night. You know how we always wanted more kids." He tapped his fingers on the table. "We're thinking these kids need a break. I've looked through their history. It's not good. We thought we might try to foster them on a more permanent basis. What do you think?"

"Shit, Dad. Wow!" Rob beamed. "I think it's a fantastic idea. Linc's a great kid. It'd be so good for him. Fuck." Rob chuckled. "I'd have a little brother, kinda."

"What about, Becky? This involves her too."

"Yeah. But she can't be my sister because she's my girlfriend." Rob smirked. "There might be some problems with that. She's tough."

"Maybe not as tough as you think. She needs just as much help as Linc. Maybe more." Michael studied his son. "Look, mate. The biggest problem is that you and she are dating."

"How?" Rob peered at his father. "How is that a problem?"

"Okay. I'm just gonna say it. I can't have you and Becky in the same house if you're having sex. That won't go down well with the authorities so before your mother and I can move forward on this we've got to have it out in the open. Are you and Becky having sex?"

"No." Rob folded his arms across his chest. "Not yet, but it'll happen."

"Rob." Michael could see determination in his son's face.

"Dad." Rob stood up. "I'm not going to talk about this anymore. I don't see it as a problem. Lots of young couples live together with one set of parents and have sex. Becky and I are both over sixteen. I'm eighteen and she's seventeen."

"For us to foster them it won't help our chances, mate."

"Then don't foster Becky. Just Linc. Because I'm not going to break up with her. I'm pretty sure I love her."

"Oh... Rob. What if it doesn't work out between you? Won't that make it awkward, Linc living here?"

"Becky and I will sort that out if it ever happens. It's a future problem. If everyone stopped doing stuff because of the what ifs, then nothing would happen in this world. I'm not breaking up with Becky because of a what if, and if you and Mum don't foster Linc because of a what if, then you're not the people I thought you were."

Rob put his hands on his hips and sucked in a breath. "I'm sorry Dad. I love you both and you're fantastic parents. You've done a great job with me and you'll do a great job with Linc. Becky's my responsibility. I know you think I'm too young and I've got my future ahead of me but I'm not stupid. You have to trust me. After all I am who I am because of you guys. I want Becky in my life. I will go to Uni and convince her to go too. I'd love you to foster Linc. Give him a chance at life. I'd love it if Becky could live here as well. She will have her room and I'll have mine. We aren't rushing into sex so if and when it happens we'll take precautions. Neither of us want to be parents."

He shrugged and turned up his mouth in a grin as he said, "We want to finish school, party with our friends. Be normal, but I don't want Becky or Linc going back to live with their father and it sounds like you and Mum don't want that either."

Rob laid out his palms. "Becky and I have eight, nine months before we'd leave for University. That's not long. I'll talk to her about all this. We'll make a pact that if we don't work out we'll end it maturely."

"It doesn't usually work out like that, Rob." Michael tilted his head and shrugged.

"We got together because of Linc. Both wanting what's best for him. Me because I'm his coach and her because she's his sister. It'll end well, if it does end, for the same reasons. I know it will. Becky would never jeopardize anything she knows is good for Linc. I can guarantee it. I think we should all discuss this together because Becky will not relinquish her responsibility for Linc easily. She will always look out for him. I figure she's done it all their lives and she will want to have a say in this."

"Yes," Michael said. "Mum and I know we need to talk to Becky and Linc but we wanted to run it by you first. Our concerns. You understand." Michael smiled and stood up. "I gotta admit we did a great job with you." He jerked his head. "Come on. Let's go and get the clothes and whatever else they might need.  We'll cross those other bridges when we get to them."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

  Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

If you are loving Black Cat please share it with your friends xoxoxox

I really appreciate it ♥♥♥