chapter 20

Namjoon bolted up off his bed, hearing a scream echoing in his ears. He barely had time to react before he had a needle in his arms. He fought against the man holding him down and tried to shout through the hand covering his mouth. He felt his muscles spasm as the toxin started attacking his body. He tried to bite at the hand as he felt his vision start to blur. He was unconscious in no time.

  When Namjoon woke up, his vision was assaulted by bright lights. Wearily he opened his eyes to see a familiar site. Through the clear wall of his cell was the interior of a Primatech plane. Wordlessly he pulled at his wrists, clenching his jaw when he felt heavy cuffs restraining him. Each cuff descended from the ceiling so he couldn't smash the walls, his toes only just touched the ground so he couldn't try some amazing escape flip.

  "Guess we're trapped again." Hoseok said dryly, gaining Namjoon's attention. They were the only ones awake. "Freedom didn't last long. So thanks, Maverick, you really helped us out."

  "I tried." Namjoon said through gritted teeth. He could see each subject hanging just like him in the cells. He could feel the suffocating air in the cells. Apparently Primatech had finally managed to make cells that could supress abilities. He felt only a touch of ease when he saw Jimin, Taehyung, and Yunghee were not there. They might have gotten away.

  "Apparently not hard enough." Hoseok clicked his tongue and wiggled as much as he could, grimacing at the pain of the cuffs digging into his wrists. Namjoon rolled his eyes and surveyed the room. He could see cameras in each cell, and one at each entrance. The control panel was at the far end of the plane, presumably where the pilots hub was, and the doors of the plane were at the very end. The cells filled the belly of the plane, meaning it was smaller than normal.

  "We're in an older styled plane. It's been updated but it wouldn't be hard to hack."

  "Yeah? How does that help us now, huh? Anyone here that can hack? Let alone move?" Hoseok spat at Namjoon, not showing the former assistant any respect.

  "I'm just saying." Namjoon grumbled, looking up at the chains.

  "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" Jungkook woke up with a scream and tears crawling down his cheeks. He looked around frantically, only seeming to panic more when he recognized the design of Primatech items in the room. "I want to go home! LET ME GO!" Fully awake, he still fought against his bonds. Namjoon recognized the frantic look in the kids eyes, he was going to have a panic attack.

  "Jungkook! Jeon Jungkook! Hey!" Namjoon shouted at him, "it's okay, everythings okay. Alright? We're all alive, we're all safe." Jungkook just shook his head mutely, his fingers digging into his suspended palms. "I need you to breathe okay? Choose your favourite number, what is it?"

  "I don't know!" Jungkook wailed as he shook in the air.

  "Okay, okay, lets go with five, how's five?" Jungkook hesitantly nodded. Namjoon smiled at him weakly. "Okay, so lets do box breathing huh? Breathe in for five seconds okay? Then hold it for five seconds." He watched the kid follow his directions. "Okay, now breathe out for five seconds, and hold for five seconds, then repeat. In five, hold five, out five, and hold five." Namjoon talked him through it making sure Jungkook followed. "Good, good you're doing well. Do this three more times okay? It's all about the number five. Good job."

  Hoseok watched the two interact with a twisted face. Part of him wanted to yell at Namjoon to stop, Jungkook was his to protect, not Namjoons. But he could never help Jungkook when he was panicking, and the lab assistant could, he was actually leading the maknae to a state of peace. He looked at Seokjin and Yoongi, seeing them slowly becoming coherent after Jungkook's screams woke them.

  "What do I do now?" Jungkook croaked out.

  "Choose a new number, any number you like, and do it the exact same, but with that number, okay?" Namjoon ignored Hoseok and walked Jungkook through box breathing again. It was a method used by soldiers to calm their nerves. Unsurprisingly, it was extremely effective for anxiety and panic attacks as well.  "You're doing great kid."

  "Thank you." Jungkook fumbled with his words, looking at Namjoon wearily. He tried to smile but his lips were too weary to move.

  "How the hell did this happen?" Yoongi pressed his lips together, trying his hardest to not be hostile. The last thing Jungkook needed was hostility, he knew the kid needed an easy atmosphere to relax. It was hard for him to not be pissed off though. He closed his eyes trying to calm his anger, but the frustration was far too strong.

  "Taehyung." Jungkook bit his dried lips fiercely as he recalled the beach. He reluctantly let them up to speed, refusing to look at them.

  'What? Wait a minute, who was to explain to me how a brain dead vegetable kills a grown man!" Hoseok spat out staring at Jungkook incredously.

  "Taehyung isn't normal." Namjoon said slowly, he felt like something in his chest snapped as he talked to them. "He was raised from a young age to kill. I was to, but, I never took to it like him. I was more of a scientist." He closed his eyes. "He may have been brain dead, but he still knew what was important, if Siwon was the only one that knew about the asylum then his instincts would tell him that the doc had to be removed. All it takes is a threat and he can remove it."

  "You're saying he's a killing machine? How terminator." Yoongi scoffed, taking Hoseok's word out of his mouth.

  "He isn't a machine." Namjoon pressed his lips together, feeling his eyes tear up with frustration. Taehyung just wanted acceptance. Taehyungs father had been a great man and when he died, Taehyung looked up to Namjoon's dad for acceptance. Namjoon knew his dad promised him power in return for his trust. Taehyung gave it freely. Taehyung was always good, and pure. Namjoon knew that with every part of him. He was just giving his loyalty to the wrong person. "We are."

  "What the hell does that mean?" Hoseok snapped.

  "What do you think this whole program was, huh? Yeah sure they used you to make a serum. But they were conditioning you this whole time. What does it take to beat you down huh?" Namjoon scowled as he recalled everything he found out about the project. "It takes more force to take you all down than any normal people. They were training you to be soldiers. As soon as they finished with the serum they would be taking advantage of how rundown you were, they would try and brainwash you. They were going to teach you how to fight and follow their morals. They want to make an army, they want to be in control. You're all just pawns."

  "We are all pawns." Seokjin said softly. "You're one of us now, remember?" He nodded to Namjoon's forearm. His sleeve had fallen down from him being suspended by the chains, revealing the tattooed number five on his forearm.

  "Seokjin, you're avoiding the problem. He said we are the future army of Primatech." Hoseok sighed and laughed coldly. "I never knew I had signed up for that."

  "Didn't you think it was odd how they still taught you things if they took you before you finished school?" Namjoon looked over at Jungkook. "Why would they teach their subjects mathematics and history if they were just going to be disposed of?"

  "Good to see you're filling them in." Namjoon went silent as a voice sparked from the walls. "Hello, I am Major. I am not on the plane right now so if you are thinking of attacking, you'll have to wait." Dry chuckles filled the air at his words.

  "I'm willing to wait if it gets me your head! Asshole!" Hoseok cursed as he fought against the cuffs.

  "Now, now subject one, clam yourself." Namjoon gritted his teeth as he listened to his own father speak with contempt over his son and comrades. "Namjoon is correct in everything he is telling you, in fact right now you're on your way to a new facility. Compliance is expected."

  Yoongi cursed at major, releasing several unsavory words shamelessly.

  "Do not attempt to reject our good will. We are priming all of you into value members of our new society." Major spoke smoothly, as if he were pitching a sale about shoes as opposed to world domination. "I know its meaningless for me to contact you all directly. But what is a father to do?"

  Namjoon spat out curses with a glare.

  "Now, now subject Five. Just because you were recruited for this project, doesn't make you any less my son. I would suggest you learn to tamper your mouth before you land, you won't like the repercussions."

  "Son?" Hoseok exclaimed as he glared at Namjoon. "Great, so this whole time we were following the son of the devil himself, but of course we didn't deserve to know that did we?" The room was filled with silence and Namjoon glared at the speakers. Of course his father had no other motives other than inspiring anger between the subjects. The more conflict, the easier the workers at the facility could manipulate them.

  "It doesn't matter." Namjoon forced out he sighed and refused to look at them. He could feel Jungkook's eyes on him despite it.

  "Really," Yoongi said dryly.

  "He disowned me the moment he hatched this plan and killed my mother. So no, he is not my father." Namjoon bit at his cheeks trying to destroy the frustration within him. He didn't bother to watch their reactions, he was too focused on their reality.

  They were being shipped out to be brainwashed into the perfect soldiers.

  How wonderful.