Chapter One

Skye's Point Of View
"WHAT?"

I could not stop the yell that escaped my lips as I jumped up in shock. "What do you mean betrothed? This is 2014 for shit's sake."

My parents who were sitting before me winced. I rarely cursed unless I was really shocked or angry so that stunned my parents a little. Compared to my brother, I was the sweet, filial and shy one. "Mind your language, Skye Renee  Winters!" My mother, Eva Winters snapped and sent me a glare that would usually shrinking back but not this time. "And calm down, it is not as bad as it sounds." She added.

Not as bad as it sounds? Calm down? What was she even saying! I knew there was something fishy going on when both my parents tried so hard to lure me back home for dinner and this was the bomb they dropped me. That I was actually bethrothed and my marriage was planned way before hand by my grandparents. This was just ridiculous really. Why? Because I just turned 26, moved out from my parents' home, finally got a great job at a top graphic designing company and was just about to start life. What I did not expect or wanted was an arranged engagement.

"This is crazy and ridiculous." I deduced out loud. "I am leaving." This was rubbish and I was not staying to deal with it.

I was about to when my father, Paul Winters finally spoke. Usually it didn't affect me but this time it did because he sounded desperate. A tone I had never once heard before from my strict and calm father. "Rory. We are sorry we had to drop this on you this is serious. Please just let us explain." He pleaded. He even used my nickname for effect.

I turned to him and was shocked to see the plea in his eyes. Beside him, my mother looked sympathetic. I let out a huge breath, knowing I was going to regret my next choice but I sat down anyway.

"Fine. Explain it to me but that does not mean I am just going to accept the whole shi- idea of being engaged." I huffed.

My parents, especially my father seemed more relieved. "Sky, this engagement was set by your grandfather." My mother began.

"You have said that already." I reminded them. "What I want to know is details. No one does arranged marriages anymore unless it is like those wealthy families who want good prospects for their children, mom. And it's not like our family is super rich."

Sure our family was quite financially stable with a decent company in construction, which my grandfather built up and was taken over by his eldest son, my father, but it was not like we were billionaires.

"Well, this engagement was a promise between your grandfather and his best friend. It was stated in your grandfather's will, that his eldest granddaughter was to marry his friend's eldest grandson." My dad explained.

The eldest granddaughter was me but there was no way I was doing this. It was old-fashioned and ridiculous to be married off to someone you did not even know. "This is insane. Can't we just forget this whole promise thing? Granddad is already dead." I was close to my grandfather because he doted on me plenty. Now I know the reason why. "I am sure his friend has forgotten it too."

My parents exchanged looks and my father sighed. "That's the problem. He hasn't. You remember Keith Gilbert?" I shook my head. "He was at your grandfather's funeral six months ago and that was the man your grandfather made a promise with. He saw you and he took a liking to you. He's really wealthy and influential, he knew immediately you are the girl for his grandson."

My eyes grew wide. He saw me? And what did he mean he took a liking to me? This was weird now and I was getting a headache from all these. Oh god, why was this happening to me. I still had pending projects at work to settle. I definitely did not need this new stress. "I don't care if he saw me or likes me. I am sure we can reject him." I insisted.