Chapter 28: Goodbye Luna

April 25, 1957

The following day Jackie got into the car, Bella and Kick in their carseats and Luna in the seat beside her.

She drove the short distance to her neighbor's house, they didn't know each other well but Jackie felt the old women wouldn't mind Jackie parking the car in the driveway.

Jackie got out, helping Bella out and pulling Kick out and placing her on her hip, in the other hand she held Luna's cage.

Jackie walked over to the front door of the rather crudely decorated home and knocked.

A few moments later footsteps rang and the old women arrived at the door.

"Jackie! What are you doing here! Come in, come in!"
Jackie smiled at the women's kindness, she acted as though they were old friends.

The old women motioned Jackie to sit at her table for four and Jackie did so, placing Bella on one seat and telling her to be good, and Luna on the other.

A few moments later the old woman came back with to cups of tea and a platter of cookies which she pushed toward wide-eyed Bella.

"What brings you here?" the women asked, sipping from her teacup.

"Well." Jackie said, feeling rather uncomfortable,"You know that bird that I brought around a couple months ago."

She nodded,"Lovely bird."

"Well." Jackie said,"Me and Jack are moving and I'd like to give Luna, the bird to somebody, and you seemed to like her so..."

The women smiled widly,"Jackie dear I'd be happy to take Luna off your hands, where is she?"

Jackie nodded toward the cage.

"Why hello there Luna." the women smiled at Luna.

Luna chirped cheerily in her direction.

After explaining everything the old women had to do for Luna Jackie said goodbye and left Luna, carrying a falling asleep Bella while trying to wrestle with a wide awake Kick.

"Thank you!" Jackie called before climbing back into the car.

She sighed, and muttered,"Bye Luna." before starting up the egnition.