Chapter 10: Buying Time

January 22, 1957

Jackie sat on her hospital bed in her hospital room, she'd been intructed by doctors and nurses alike to not leave the bed, she still hadn't been told what was wrong with the baby but she was getting very nervous from the men and women taking scans and feeding her medicine, giving her shots, it was scary for her.

Not to mention the press, apparently they were outside trying to get news on her and her husband, it still hadn't been announced to the public that Jackie was pregnant once more, and to be honest Jackie wanted it to stay that way.

Janet and Lee visited every day, her half-brother was sent back home, and Janet had to leave tommorow.

Jack had apparently woken up and his sibling's were allowed to see him but for the day he'd been awake Jackie still hadn't seen her husband.

She sighed as she read a book Jean had gotten her, it was focused on Egyptian history and would normally intrest Jackie greatly but for now she just couldn't get into it, she was worried about the baby.

She was having severe stomach pains, and it hurt even when she took medicine which concerned her more than she'd like to admit.

Around 2:00 the door of her room opened once more, used to this by now Jackie just continued to read her book, however when a familiar voice called,"Jackie." she looked up.

In a wheelchair a few feet away from Jackie was none other then her husband, Jack.

"Jack!" she cried, and sat up.

Jack was wheeled over by a nurse and Jack embraced Jackie, a bit awkwardly but it worked out alright.

After pulling away Jackie observed her husband, she bit her lip when she saw a bandage around his arm and a cast on his leg, and she could tell he was wearing a back brace, by her guess it looked like he was on more medication's then she was, and judging by his eyes, what worried Jackie most was the redness by his eyes, an obvious sign he'd been crying, but why?

It took a lot to make Jack Kennedy cry.

"Jack?" she asked, moving a hand to one of his eyes, a troubled expression on her face.

Jack held Jackie's hand in it's spot and weakly lowered it.

Jackie looked at him and it clicked, it had to do with the baby didn't it? But what was wrong with it?

"Jack?" she asked again, this time in a whisper.

Jack sighed and looked at the nurse behind him, she gave a nodd and Jack held Jackie's hand in both of his, Jackie saw the nurse rushing Janet and Lee out the door, and then the nurse herself left.

"Jack?" Jackie asked again, voice cracking.

She knew it had to do with the baby.

"What's wrong with the baby?" she whispered.

Jackie saw her husband's eyes water and his head turned away from her, Jackie grasped his jaw and turned it to face her.

"Jack?" she asked, she felt her eyes water though she didn't know why.

"Jackie." Jack said quietly.

"Jack what's wrong?" Jackie asked, choking on her words.

"The baby, it..." Jack seemed to hesitate.

Jackie looked at Jack, fear was rising up in her, what was wrong.

"There's been a issue with the pregnacy." Jack muttered.

Jackie bit her lip, but didn't say anything, if she did then a sob would escape from her lips.

Jack looked like he wanted to speak but couldn't, after trying three times he finally croaked out,"They've done all they can but they... you see."

Jack quickly wiped his eyes.

"The baby... the egg, it... it's... " Jack put his head in his hands.

"Jack... Jack." Jackie sobbed before covering her mouth to stiffle the cries,"What's wrong"

"It's... it's not going to make it." Jack said.

Jackie covered her mouth, and then she sobbed once, then twice, Jack started crying too and they wrapped their arms around each other and cried for the child that was lost.