57. ⚛️ Lightning Bolt

"We're your family, Yana."

"My name is Rachel." She shook her head, trying to wrap her mind around the surreal image... the thought of a family. She knew she was adopted from a young age. Her parents, Becky and Thomas had loved her until they were killed in a car accident just before her eighth birthday.

From then on she'd bounced from foster home to group home and back again. When she'd turned eighteen, she'd gotten a job on a cruise ship. After sailing the seas for two years, she was offered a job at the hotel and she stayed, hoping to plant roots in the little island community where she felt at home.

"Rachel, then. We will call you Rachel." The woman moved to kneel before her, cutting off her ties with a long thin knife, the big man just stared and she blushed under his gaze. He made her feel nervous, with his dark glower. Was he mad at her?

"Thorne, you're scaring her." The woman said.

He laughed and Rachel found she liked the sound. "Jeannie says this is my resting face when I concentrate. I can't help it, Mama."

"He's your son? "Rachel asked, flicking her eyes to Thorne and then back to the woman gain.

"Yes," The woman said. "He's my son and you're my daughter."