37. ⚛️ A Dark Day

In Thorne's apartment, the monochrome credits of the film noir movie scrolled on the TV screen. Jeannie drummed her fingers on Thorne's taut belly as he absently stroked her hair.

It's now, or never, Jeannie thought.

Jeannie looked up at Thorne, the lump in her throat making it difficult to speak. "Thorne, will you come home with me for Thanksgiving break tomorrow?" Jeannie waited with disquiet, holding her breath for his answer.

Thorne laughed. "No need to be anxious," he said, kissing her forehead. "This morning, I was thinking about the logistics."

Jeannie exhaled slowly, relief evident in the uplifting of her shoulders. Thorne wanted to go. He'd hinted some weeks ago at meeting her father, but because of his "strictly platonic" mandate and Demetri's caution against dating Thorne unless she got him to switch sides, Jeannie had been afraid to broach the subject. It turned her worry had been for nothing.

Jeannie leaned back to face Thorne, her hands falling into her lap. "What plan did you come up with?"

"Well ... if we switch the license plates on the van, you can drive it while I hide in the back. When it's dark, I'll sneak inside." Thorne's brows furrowed as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Only drawback is I'll have to stay inside the whole week and—"

Jeannie cut off his words with a kiss. Thorne had said "yes," and that was all that mattered. Anything else they could discuss later.

Jeannie's phone rang. She eased from Thorne's arms so as not to disturb his sleep. Patting the bedside table, she ran her hand over the buzzing device and answered it.

"This is Jeannie."

Demetri's voice crackled over the line. "I'm sorry, milakha. Your dear father has passed from this world."

Jeannie had expected the pain, but she hadn't counted on the overwhelming regret. It hit her like a freight train, breaking her heart in two. She hadn't been by her father's side when he passed. She would never get to tell him how much she loved him or what a wonderful father he was again.

Big salty tears escaped from the corner of her scrunched eyes. Her breathing came in sharp gasps. Thorne woke up, startled by the sounds. He blinked up at her for a moment before scrambling to her side.

"Milakha, are you there?"

"Yes. I understand," Jeannie choked out. "I'll be on the next bus."

"No. That is unnecessary. You should not be alone during this time. Carmen is en route and will be there in fifteen minutes."

"Thank you. That is best."

"Safe Journey, milakha. I will see you soon."

Thorne guessed, by Jeannie's tears and demeanor, Alex Jones had succumbed to his disease and was no more. He held Jeannie as she cried into his shoulder, clinging to him in her grief. They stayed locked together, Thorne comforting her with sweet words until a knock sounded at the door.

"Jeannie? Its Carmen. I'm coming in."

Jeannie disengaged from Thorne. Using the bedsheet, she wiped her tear-filled eyes.

Carmen appeared in the doorway. She stopped short when she saw a bare-chested Thorne. Blushing, she said, "I'll go make coffee while you...um... get decent." Carmen bustled off to the kitchen without a backward glance.

Jeannie gave Thorne a look of horror. "N-no one was supposed to know."

Thorne wanted to spare Jeannie any more anguish, so he took matters into his own hands. "Jeannie, take a shower and pack a bag, I'll talk to Carmen."

"Thank you, Thorne." She twisted her hands in her lap as she tried to wrap her head around the news. "I can't...I mean she won't...I just— "

Thorne came around the bed and lifted her from it. He rubbed her back for a moment, then kissed her on the forehead. "Go. It will be fine."

I'll make it fine.

Thorne hoped Carmen saw reason and would keep their secret because if not...

He would do anything to protect Jeannie.

Anything at all.

When the shower started, Thorne pulled on his T-shirt and drawstring pants. He then went in search of Carmen. She was in the kitchen, unboxing donuts and putting them on a plate.

Thorne studied her from the doorway. His dark-green eyes were wastelands in the early morning gloom. "It looks like it's going to rain."

Carmen paused with licking her finger free of maple frosting. Thorne raised himself to his full height and took a menacing step forward. Trembling at his expression and the danger pouring off him, Carmen shakily backed up a few inches. "I would hate it if Jeannie had to suffer because of foul weather...friends. Wouldn't you?"

Carmen dropped her hands to her side and shrugged. "Um, sure. Yes."

Thorne took another step forward, flexing his arms under his tight white shirt. The material strained across his chest as he crossed them, thick biceps bulging.

He wanted his narrowed eyes and his deep-seated frown put fear into Carmen's heart.

It worked.

Her eyes grew wide, and his nostrils flared like a rabbit sensing a predator.

"Are you sure, Carmen?"

"Y-yes. I do. I will." At Thorne's raised brow, she backtracked. "I mean I won't. I won't breathe a word."

Thorne nodded, satisfied. "Make sure you don't. You're a great hacker, and you would elude me for a while." He shrugged as if the matter were of little consequence. "Eventually, I would find you, though. No matter if you hid in the darkest jungle or climbed the highest mountain."

Thorne took another step forward. He was so close that his breath fanned Carmen's bangs. She trembled at the alarming words that matched his dark, blank look, "And just so you know, I wouldn't make it quick."