19. ⚛️ Insult to Injury

Jeannie had dressed in the outfit Thorne complimented her on the night of the frat party. She wanted him to notice her. She also styled her hair differently. Since it was windy, she'd put it up in a wraparound braid. She didn't want her hair to blow in her face an obstruct her view of Thorne's face.

During class, Shon's eyes rarely left Jeannie's body just as Bekka's hadn't left his. Jeannie suspected something was going on between the two. She'd asked Shon several times, but he always denied it. Jeannie knew he was lying. No woman ever looked at a man like that unless something was going on between the sheets.

No matter, she'd find out, eventually.

Jeannie walked into the lectern hall where Thorne taught. Wide-eyed freshman filled the seats nearly to capacity. Jeannie smiled as she watched them playing games or chatting with their neighbors.

Had I ever been so new?

She couldn't remember the last time she'd taken it easy without subterfuge behind it. Jeannie had been studying her whole life, waiting to receive her calling. When she came to study at the Uni, she finally had.

Jeannie let her eyes wander to the front. They latched onto Thorne. She drank in the sight of him as he sat on the edge of his desk, talking to several students. Most of them were girls—from all nationalities, shapes, and sizes. From her view at the top row in the back corner of the 250-seat classroom, Thorne appeared fine.

In more ways than one.

Thorne, was her calling, and she would not let him go.

"What is the definition of theory?" Thorne turned to face the class after writing the question on the board. Several people raised their hands. Thorne pointed to a student wearing a striped Henley of blue and yellow and a mop of wiry brown hair.

The student pushed back the locks from his face and said, "Theory, for scientific purposes, are ideas which explain why something 'is'."

"Good answer," Thorne said, nodding. "Does anyone have anything else to add?" He pointed to a girl in a tight pink sweater dress.

"Well ..." The girl jutted out her chest and sucked the top of her pen. She gave Thorne a leisurely once over as she contemplated her answer. "Aren't theories supposed to be proven?"

"Excellent point," Thorne said, noting the girl preened under his attention. She'd been giving him "the look" for a while now, but he wasn't buying it for two reasons. He wasn't interested, and she was the dean's youngest daughter.

Thorne gave the girl a vague smile before addressing the body of students, "Theory, and all that surrounds it, is our topic for today." He turned back to the board and started to write.

Jeannie's admiration of Thorne grew as she watched him engage and entertain his students. Jeannie felt an odd sense of pride in how he made chemistry, a necessary evil in the list of core courses freshmen had to take, seem less of a chore and more like fun. Thorne even ended the lecture with laughter when he'd asked if chemical workers were unionized.

All too soon, the class was over. Most of the attendees gathered their books and filed out of the room chatting and laughing. A few stayed to talk to their professor. Jeannie sat in her seat, waiting for Thorne to be free. After a while, only one student remained, the girl in the pink sweater dress. It seemed like she wasn't in much of a hurry to go anywhere.

Suelma Freeman, cut from the same cloth as her sister Bekka, was similar in looks, stature, and tenacity. When the Freeman girls went after something, they got it, and woe be unto anyone who stood in their way. Combined, the sisters had done serious damage to the reputations of many a girl.

"So, Professor Gable," Suelma purred. "Do you have any plans for the weekend?" Suelma leaned in closer and blinked a few times in what she thought was her most seductive look.

It wasn't.

Suelma's friends had talked her into getting the latest fashion craze—ant-leg eyelash extensions.

They did her no favors.

He can't keep his eyes off me, Suelma thought.

In reality it was her makeup malfunction which had Thorne's undivided attention.

Suelma became emboldened under his gaze. She sidled up to him, placing her hand on his chest, massaging the muscles there. "Perhaps, if you're not busy, I could come over later?"

Thorne hadn't noticed Suelma's lashes from where she'd sat, but up close, it was a tragedy. Much like a picture of a sea monster washed up on shore with people standing around, wondering what it was.

While Suelma blinked up at him, her bizarre look compelled Thorne to answer her question so he could get away from her as soon as possible. "Uh, I'm going to visit a friend tonight."

It was true. He would do whatever was necessary to see Jeannie again even if he had to break down her door.

Jeannie watched their exchange with disappointment. Her resolution to make things up with Thorne faltered as she gazed at the pair below. From her vantage point, it appeared Thorne liked the girl, as he couldn't stop staring at her face.

It seems he'll be busy tonight, Jeannie thought. Her heart thudded dejectedly, spreading a dull ache through her chest. Jeannie sighed and trudged from the classroom. When she saw who was waiting outside, she gritted her teeth.

Bekka Freeman, accompanied by a large group of girls, stood at the entrance. Upon seeing her nemesis, Bekka wasted no time in belittling Jeannie.

"Well, look what just crawled out of Professor Gable's class, girls. The fantastic Jeannie Jones!"

Jeannie threw Bekka a withering look before she turned and walked away. She was above petty squabbles, but if Bekka touched her, Jeannie would give her nemesis more than she got.

Bekka followed Jeannie, careful to stay out of her reach, as with all bullies, Bekka was a coward at heart. "I just love your shoes, Jeannie! I had a pair just like those before my daddy got a job."

"Oooo," the other girl's twittered, laughing at their leader's wit.

Bekka, feeding off the approval of her audience, continued, "And your hair. Wow! What do you call that style? Brillo Braid?"

More laughter and snorts, but it all stopped when a shamefaced Suelma, followed by an infuriated Thorne, exited the classroom.

Bekka, oblivious Thorne was behind her and closing fast, called out to her enemy, "Hey, Jeannie—"

"Enough!" Thorne growled, startling Bekka into silence. Jeannie didn't even bother to turn around before she walked out the door.