31. ⚛️ Swap Meet

J"Let me walk you out, Jeannie," Shon said, extending his elbow towards her. "You look unwell."

Dr. Longborn had already left. As soon as the conference call ended, the professor had shot from her chair like a cannonball from the deck of a pirate ship. Her hasty 'goodbye' had floated to them from the hallway.

Jeannie smiled weakly at Shon's offer. In truth, she was more nervous than tired. Thorne awaited her. Their futures hinged on this evening. She could only hope it would end well.

"Thank you, Shon. You're a good friend, truly."

Jeannie liked the friendly smile Shon gave her. It seemed like he'd finally given up on a relationship. His change of heart brought ease to her weary mind.

One less thing to worry over.

Before they reached the lobby, Shon stopped and turned to her. "Hey, Jeannie? Would you mind introducing me to your beautiful friend?"

Jeannie gave him a wide smile. "Sure, Shon." She dipped her head conspiratorially. "I also know she wants to meet you as well."

As Jeannie and Shon approached, Carmen stood and stretched, chest out with her hands above her head. She posed that way to tear Shon's attention away from Jeannie. She liked the look of the tall brown-haired man. In fact, she didn't consider it a hardship to take over her new friend's assignment.

Jeannie removed her arm from Shon's before making introductions. "Carmen, this is my friend Shon, a classmate of mine. Shon, Carmen is a freshman at the Uni, and she works part-time as a waitress at El Chico's. She wasn't there the night we went though."

Carmen gave her assignment a flirty smile. When Shon licked his lips appreciatively, Carmen beamed. By the way Shon was devouring her with his gaze, she'd have no problems getting Demetri what he wanted.

The sun hung low in the sky—a fireball of orange light. Thorne was becoming anxious as Jeannie had yet to arrive.

First pacing his apartment and then the hallway, he kept checking the time on his cell. He ended up on the outside porch after the Judge emerged from his apartment and told Thorne, "To stop wearing out the carpet."

Through his strides, Thorne wore a path through the fallen leaves filling the sidewalk. Earlier in the day, he'd heard Ms. Cheng ask her son to rake the fallen foliage into bags. The son, a middle-aged man with a drooping face, graying hair, and a put-upon look, had yet to do so. Thorne doubted he ever would.

Screeching tires, like the sound of Ms. Cheng's voice, shifted Thorne's gaze to the street. A black SUV with tinted windows turned the corner, approaching fast. It fishtailed left, then right, tearing down the street like a bullet. The vehicle slowed then stopped in front of the building, gunning the engine.

The driver rolled down the window. Thorne tensed his thighs and flexed his arms, ready for action. Loud acoustic guitar music spilled from the car stereo as the passenger side door opened and Jeannie climbed out.

"Hey, Hawthorne!" Carmen called from the driver's seat.

Thorne gave her a half wave before hooking his fingers through his belt loops. He rocked back on his heels, waiting patiently for Jeannie to thank Carmen for driving her to the SPC meeting.

After closing the car door, Jeannie trudged up the walk. She was so tired from her worry over her father and relationship with Thorne, she barely had the strength to keep her blue jean jacket and bag from dragging on the ground.

Carmen made an impressive U-turn in the narrow street, tooted the horn twice and sped off, fingers waggling in a wave outside the open window.

Jeannie lifted her head wearily to meet his intense gaze. "Hi, Hawthorne. Sorry, I'm so late. Are you—"

Jeannie's bag and jacket fell as Thorne crushed her to him. There on the sidewalk, in front of anyone who was watching, Thorne and Jeannie kissed.