45. ⚛️ Close to the Vest

The windows had fogged up, obliterating the view outside. Drake was in the driver's seat of Share's beat-up car, fiddling with controls that cleared the windows.

Drake had insisted on taking the keys away from her, claiming she was too tipsy to drive.

She didn't mind. She liked a man who took charge.

And take-charge Drake had. Right from the get go.

He'd removed the drink from her hand, placed it on the ledge of the machine and still holding her fingers in his, he'd led her from the casino to her car.

There they stayed.

Kissing.

Moaning.

And sucking.

Share felt like a high school nobody with the captain of the football team. Glancing between herself and Drake, she blew out a breath, doubt flooding in like the humid air from the vent.

Why would someone like Drake, so handsome and young, be interested in her?

Drake cupped a hand around her jaw, caressing his thumb along her thin bottom lip, answering Share's unasked question in the next breath. He leaned in to nuzzle her neck, carefully avoiding the spot underneath her right ear where a shiny red patch of eczema wept a crusty pus.

"I've wanted you for so long, Share. Ever since I saw you at that conference." Drake placed a warm hand on her bony thigh, moving in close for more sweet kisses. They did the trick of melting the last of her token resistance.

"I didn't dare hope you felt the same," Drake said, nibbling at her earlobe.

Share whimpered.

Drake moved his mouth to her bare shoulder—nipping and sucking.

She moaned.

He lifted his head and looked deep into her eyes. "When I saw you tonight... looking so angelic ...I had to have you."

"I've wanted you too, Drake. Ever since I met you." Share still couldn't remember meeting him before, but what did that matter, anyway?

Drake's eyes lingered on her chest to rise, ever so slowly, to her face. "Let's get you home and into... bed."

Share didn't hesitate. Her head bobbed an enthusiastic "yes."

Drake smiled, curving his apple cheeks, his deep dimples showing.

Sinking back into her seat, Share let the images of the pleasurable evening ahead, run through her mind.

Jeannie fluttered her eyes. Her body weighed a ton and her brain had trouble telling her limbs how to function. The knockout drug wasn't entirely out of her system it seemed.

"Jeannie! Jeannie! Are you awake?"

"Shon?"

She remembered someone had drugged her, but Shon as well? What was going on?

"Jeannie, where are we?"

What a strange question.

She was in her bed, wasn't she?

Jeannie rose. The room spun. She clutched her head to stop the pounding of the giant's feet inside her skull.

"Your headache will pass soon. Just lie back down. There isn't much to see."

Jeannie took Shon's advice and laid her head on the thin pillow, closing her eyes. She waited for him to speak again, but he didn't. The only sound were of his shoes, scuffling across the floor.