Chapter 6: Power

Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA) was Hermione's next subject, and for the first time, she felt truly alive in the classroom. Instantly, she found herself surrounded by many friends, though most of them were older Aurors she had befriended before Hogwarts. She had never had friends her own age before.

"Someone finally managed to beat Tom Riddle," Luke exclaimed, catching Hermione off guard.

"Tom Riddle?" Hermione echoed, feeling a sense of confusion.

"He's in Slytherin. Gryffindor and Slytherin are like arch-enemies, so you might want to steer clear of them," Luke warned, earning a smile from Hermione.

Tom was far from pleased with the outcome of their potion class. He was determined not to let Perquiry best him this time.

"Tom, you might just melt Perquiry with that stare of yours," Archon remarked, drawing Tom's attention to the fact that he had been fixated on Hermione without realizing it.

"Hermione must have really gotten under your skin during potions. I wonder if she could best you in Defense Against the Dark Arts," Robastian Lestrange taunted.

"No one can defeat me, Robastian," Tom ground out, feeling insulted at the mere suggestion that he could be bested by a girl.

"Good morning, class, and welcome, Miss Perquiry, to my class. I'm Professor Merrythought, your Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor," Professor Merrythought greeted, eliciting a warm smile from Hermione.

After a thorough lecture from Professor Merrythought, Hermione was eager to put her skills to the test in a duel.

"Now, I want each of you to select your dueling partner, and we'll begin in pairs," Professor Merrythought announced. Tom was quick to raise his hand, surprising Lestrange and Archon, who hadn't expected him to choose Hermione.

"I'll partner with Hermione, if you don't mind, Professor," Tom declared, catching Hermione off guard. It was unusual for Tom to address anyone by their first name, except for his close Slytherin companions.

"Why certainly," Professor Merrythought responded with evident pleasure, relishing the opportunity to witness two exceptional students, one from Hogwarts and the other from the MACUSA, engage in a duel.

"Hermione," Tom said, smiling as he addressed her.

Hermione remained silent as they positioned themselves back to back.

"Now, on my count..."

Both combatants took a deep breath, each sizing up the other. From Hermione's perspective, Riddle seemed to be on par with her skills, making him the perfect target for her new spell. She smiled at the thought of unleashing something darker than Crucio. Tom, on the other hand, sensed Hermione's formidable capabilities and knew he couldn't afford to let his guard down.

"1...."

They each took a step forward.

"2...."

For the first time, Tom felt a flicker of nerves.

"3...."

"Protego..." Tom began, launching his attack. But to his surprise, Hermione seemed to vanish into thin air.

"Where is she?" Tom demanded, prompting everyone to look around in confusion.

A fierce gust of wind erupted, conjuring a whirlwind that swirled menacingly before them. Suddenly, the whirlwind surged forward, aiming directly at Tom. Reacting swiftly, he erected a shield, though the force of the wind was formidable. Determined, Tom reinforced his defense, causing the whirlwind to rebound and transform into Hermione. Gasps rippled through the onlookers, even catching the attention of Professor Merrythought; it was an advanced spell that few students had mastered.

"Looks like someone is finally on my level," Hermione quipped at Tom, a playful smirk gracing her lips.

"And yet your spell wasn't potent enough to defeat me," Tom retorted, his facade unwavering despite the shock simmering within.

"You're quite right. Stupefy!" Hermione unleashed her first attack.

"Accendio!" Tom swiftly countered.

"Cruentus!" Hermione retaliated. Tom deftly dodged the assault, though not without consequence—his robe tore perilously close to his skin. Anger flared within Tom as he realized the precariousness of his situation.

As the duel intensified, Tom found himself engulfed in a swelling tide of fury. With each volley of spells exchanged, his frustration burgeoned, stoking a primal darkness within him. Lost in a whirlwind of wrath, he disregarded the confines of their practice, forgetting it was meant merely for student training.

Blinded by rage, Tom's hand trembled as he raised his wand, his eyes ablaze with an intense ferocity. Without pause, he uttered the incantation, "Lacrimusos!"

A pall of darkness descended upon the arena as Tom's spell surged forth, a deluge of black tears streaming from his wand. The atmosphere crackled with an ominous energy, suffusing the air with palpable dread.

Suddenly, a series of images flashed in Hermione's mind.

"Harry!" a voice cried out, resembling Hermione's own. A monstrous figure loomed, poised to strike a boy. Without hesitation, the girl darted towards him.

Strange sensations swirled within Hermione's thoughts; an inexplicable ache gripped her heart, only to subside as quickly as it had come. Focusing once more on Tom, she noticed his surprise at her swift recovery. There was something that ignited her anger—a reason she couldn't discern. Acting on instinct alone, Hermione countered the curse and unleashed a spell she hadn't intended to use, driven by an inexplicable urge to hurt Tom Riddle.

"Crucio!" she shouted, her voice laced with determination. Tom recoiled in agony as the curse took hold of his body.

"Stop..." Professor Merrythought's voice cut through the chaos, her expression beyond shock. Never before had she witnessed such a ferocious duel in all her years at Hogwarts. It was abundantly clear that both of these students were prodigies in their own right.

As the duel unfolded, it wasn't just Merrythought and her students who bore witness; Dumbledore himself observed from a distance, his gaze intent.

"Both of you are undoubtedly talented, but I must implore you, Miss Perquiry, to refrain from using the Cruciatus Curse within these walls unless it serves an educational purpose," Professor Merrythought's tone wavered between concern and apprehension.

"Fifteen points to Gryffindor and ten points to Slytherin. And if you would, Mr. Malfoy, kindly assist Mr. Riddle to the hospital wing," she continued, her voice carrying a note of authority.

As Tom attempted to rise, Archon moved to aid him, but Hermione intervened before they could take a step.

"Allow me to assist you as well; after all, it was my fault for casting that curse upon you," Hermione offered, acknowledging the gravity of her actions. She knew all too well that the spell she had unleashed was more than just a mere incantation—it was akin to a curse.

Tom and Archon remained silent, allowing Hermione to assist them. Deep within herself, Hermione acknowledged that the display of violence was not characteristic of her usual demeanor. It was as though she had tapped into a part of herself she didn't recognize—a side fueled by the unknown image she had witnessed.

The image lingered in her mind, a source of inexplicable pain that gnawed at her heart. Yet, she knew with certainty that it wasn't her memory; she had never experienced such a moment in her entire life.

Perhaps it was the lingering effects of a spell, Hermione speculated. She was familiar with spells that could evoke memories, dredging up one's most painful experiences. But this wasn't her memory—it was someone else's.

Strangely, the boy in the image felt strangely familiar, as though a piece of her heart resonated with him. Despite her confusion, Hermione couldn't shake the sense of connection she felt, leaving her bewildered and searching for answers.